how 1.1.1.1 achieves the fastest DNS in the world

I am a college student. I am amazed at the resolution delay data of 1.1.1.1. I am very curious about how 1.1.1.1 achieves the fastest DNS in the world. I checked your blog, https://blog.cloudflare.com/dns-resolver-1-1-1-1/, but got no answer.
If you don’t mind, I hope you can answer the following questions:
1. How the “fast caching” mentioned in the blog is designed and implemented
2. How the “innovative distributed cache” mentioned in the blog is designed and implemented.
Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

1 Like

I don’t think the blog means a feature literally named “fast caching”, but what we do know is that 1.1.1.1 isn’t a central server, and is distributed into many servers across the globe. I assume what they mean by this is that every record may be cached in at least every country, maybe in every server.

1.1.1.1 will always cache every record that gets resolved for a certain period of time. If you want to get rid of a record, it’s actually really fast if you use this.

This cache is distributed, I’d assume, the same way that the entire Cloudflare CDN works, which is through a network technique called Anycast, meaning that there could be thousands of 1.1.1.1 servers, that share the same IP address. The closest server with the IP 1.1.1.1 will be picked, and the record will be picked from its cache, which makes it really fast.

Do note though, that this is a technique used by many popular DNS resolvers. Cloudflare (I assume) just combines this technology with a lot of their other internal services to make their resolution considerably faster than the competition.

1 Like

Got it, thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.