Hopeless amateur question

The following message is on my siteground cloudfare page:
For Cloudflare to work properly, WWW has to be configured as a CNAME that points to the domain’s Cloudflare address. To do this, add the following lines to your DNS zone:

www IN CNAME www.futurestates.org.cdn.cloudflare.net

cloudflare-resolve-to IN CNAME futurestates.org

So I’ve gone to my DNS editor. But how do I input those lines? The fields in Create New Record are: Name; TTL; ivP4 address

If you can help me, I’ll be pitifully grateful!

Hi @tmsatt, I am not sure how you’d add DNS records on a cloudflare partner site, not familiar with siteground. This #Tutorials explains how to do it on the Cloudflare dashboard, Adding DNS Records and may have some tips that are helpful for the partner site…

Thanks, Cloonan. But isn’t it just a matter of the correct cut-and-paste? I assume I have to Create New Record, but which elements of those lines go into the fields Name, TTL, and ivP4 address?

Hi @tmsatt,

I have no experience with that particular host, but somewhere in that panel, you should be able to select the type of record you are adding. From the fields you listed, it sounds like it is currently adding an ‘A’ record, whereas you need a ‘CNAME’, if you need more help, are you able to post a screenshot of the section on your host where you add the record?

Alternatively, you may be able to contact them for better help as they will know their control panel best (I hope)!

1 Like

Yes, should just be a paste of those values into the appropriate field. For a CNAME record on the cloudflare dash, I have the options of: Name (www) and target, but not IP address. The options change based on the type of record I am creating in the cf dash.

Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like in siteground?

1 Like

Hope this comes through.

Second try.

Aha! At the top, where you see A, AAAA, CNAME etc. If you select ‘CNAME’, you should see the same fields specified for the record - name, target etc.

You put www in name and www.futurestates.org.cdn.cloudflare.net in content.

1 Like

Brilliant. Thanks Dom, and Cloonan! I really appreciate this help. If this fails, I’ll give up and go to bed.

1 Like

No problem, you’re welcome to post back for more help if it doesn’t work, now or when you wake up!

No, it didn’t work. ‘Invalid DNS value’ Is there something in:

www IN CNAME www.futurestates.org.cdn.cloudflare.net

cloudflare-resolve-to IN CNAME futurestates.org

that will be accepted as a DNS value?

Can you post a screenshot of what you are adding under CNAME?

That looks OK to me, can you check that no space has been added at the start or end of the DNS value when you copied it?

That did it! There was a space. Now it’s gone through. Goodnight - you have restored my faith in humanity.

2 Likes

Excellent, glad it is sorted! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.