High TTFB Latencies - 2-6 seconds?

Not sure what we’re doing wrong. The site has the following CF settings and page rules:

• Always use HTTPS
  • Full end-to-end encryption
  • Caching level: standard
  • Browser cache: 4 hours
  • Page rules: Cache Everything for mommyhood101.com/* with an Edge Cache TTL of 1 hour. We put a few Cache Bypass exceptions for admin area, webmail, and mysql.
  • Over past 24 hours, panel says about 75% of requests were cached

https://performance.sucuri.net/domain/mommyhood101.com

Getting about 2-3 seconds TTFB from USA. First saw this with G Pagespeed and other tools, which sometimes show TTFB above 4-5 seconds, which seems absurd.

I started using Cloudflare with the hope that this server response time would decrease, so I’m surprised to still see it so high.

Other things maybe worth mentioning:

• I can make updates on the backend, to css or html, and those load immediately on the front-end without clearing cache. I thought this would all be cached, given the “Cache Everything” page rule.
  • Our htaccess file doesn’t appear to have any cache control rules that would conflict with CF, but I could be wrong:
    Header append Cache-Control “public”
    Header set Cache-Control “public, immutable, max-age=31536000, s-maxage=31536000”

Any clues would be appreciated, even if it’s telling us we’re dummies and doing something terribly wrong! :slight_smile:

For me your site loads pretty instantaneously and the numbers at sitemeer.com/#https://mommyhood101.com/ look equally fine.

TTFB issues are typically with the origin responding slower, but that does not seem to apply to your case.

I think we solved it - turns out we didn’t set the “Edge Cache TTL” correctly. We now have it included in the same page rule set as Cache Everything. TTFB is now down in the millisecond range.

Thanks - I think you tested it after we corrected the settings. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.