High Ping in Kenya

Why is it connecting me to a South African server instead of connecting me to the kenyan server for cloudflare.
When i use the 1.1.1.1 app on my phone and i do a dns leaktest on my phone it connects me to a kenya server.

1 Like

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

Your phone carrier probably has better routing than your home ISP.

0 Likes

The thing that does not make sense is that i am connected to the same wifi with my phone!

0 Likes

That does make it more interesting.

On your phone app, are you using DNS over HTTP, or DNS over TLS?

How’s your Desktop configured to use 1.1.1.1? Regular DNS?

And, just to confirm, when you visit DNS Leaktest and it gives you the Hello (IP address). They’re the same IP address on your phone and computer?

1 Like

On my phone i am using DNS over HTTPS.
On my desktop i put the dns setting in my adapter options, and also on my router.
Also when i visit the DNS Leaktest site i have the same IP on my phone and on my Desktop.

0 Likes

So Port 53 (DNS) gets routed to South Africa, but Port 443 (HTTPS) gets routed to Kenya. You could try another DNS service for your Desktop, like 9.9.9.9 or 8.8.8.8 and see where they go. (EDIT: Try 1.0.0.1)

Maybe your ISP can explain this, but we sure can’t.

0 Likes

That would be peculiar :slight_smile:

@yashshah1282, whats the output of these pages?

https://1.1.1.1/cdn-cgi/trace
https://1.0.0.1/cdn-cgi/trace

Respectively of these commands on the command line?

nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt id.server 1.1.1.1
nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt id.server 1.0.0.1
1 Like

When i use quad9 the dns leaktest connect tme to a server locally.
When i use google dns it routes me to Belgium server but it still has low ping compared 1.1.1.1.

0 Likes

0 Likes

With google dns

0 Likes

with Quad9

0 Likes

This the test from my phone with the 1.1.1.1 app

0 Likes

The same thing happens in Colombia, it routes me to the United States and not in my country, thus rising more than 10ms to 53ms

0 Likes

So yeah, classic DNS goes via South Africa as @sdayman suggested. What about the other links I posted however?

0 Likes

So - as expected - HTTPS requests (including DoH) also go via South Africa.

0 Likes

Is there anything that can be done?

0 Likes

You could contact your ISP and clarify why they route it to South Africa instead of to the local datacentre.

0 Likes