Having to use Cloudflare's nameservers

Hello,

I am sure this is a silly newbie question. But I ran across section 6.1 of the Cloudflare’s Domain Registration Agreement:

6.1 Nameservers. Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

QUESTION:

Would I still be able to host my Web server, email server, etc. with some other service provider, e.g. DigitalOcean?

BACKGROUND:

Until now, whenever I changed the domain registrar, I simply updated the nameserver information at the new registrar so that all traffic went to my (Web, email, etc.) servers.

If I have to use Cloudflare’s nameservers, does that mean I have to host my Web or email server with Cloudflare?

Or will I be able to set individual DNS records (A, MX, CNAME, etc.) so that Web, email, etc. traffic is directed to their respective servers?

Again, apologies for the newbie nature of the question. I am only vaguely aware that such a thing as A, MX, or CNAME record exists and never had to manipulate one before. So my referring to them may be totally off the mark.

Anyway, the ultimate aim is to be able to use Cloudflare as registrar but to continue to host my servers where they are now. Thanks.

You would. This requirement only refers to the nameservers and you can still configure your DNS entries just like you always did, as long as your hosting provider does not have similar nameserver requirements.

Cloudflare does not offer web or email hosting in the first place.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.