Having problem with domain transfer to CloudFlare

Hello! I am new to CloudFlare, so I trust you will be lenient with me as I need to progressively understand how CloudFlare works. My point is I would like to transfer a domain name from NameCheap to CloudFlare. I already unlocked the domain and got the Auth Code from NameCheap. However, when I access the transfer page in CloudFlare (First Stage at “Select Domains”) there is no area in the form where I can write the domain name I wish to transfer. So, the button CONFIRM DOMAIN is not activated because I cannot write the domain name. In short, a message comes up saying there is no domain to transfer which seems logical as I cannot write the domain name I wish to transfer. I think I am missing something simple as I don’t think there is any problem with CloudFlare.

Hi @user12329,

Cloudflare’s Registrar service is designed for domains already using Cloudflare for DNS. You can only transfer domains active in your account here with the nameservers pointed to Cloudflare.

From your description, I’m not sure if your domain is using Cloudflare at all at the moment. Note that if you do transfer it , you will not be able to change the nameservers and will have to use Cloudflare. I’d recommend looking into whether you want to do that before you consider transferring the domain.

If you are already using Cloudflare nameservers, you should see the transfer option on the right side of your domain’s overview page if it is eligible.

If you want more specific help, please post the domain name in question.

1 Like

Dear domjh. I had not updated the DNS of the domain at NameCheap. After reading your reply I logged into NameCheap and noticed the DNS assigned to the domain in question (BABELFRANCE.COM) were as follows:

Name Server: DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
Name Server: DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

So, what I have did was updating them with the DNS assigned to my CloudFlare account:

beau.ns.cloudflare.com
elisa.ns.cloudflare.com

Then when I went back to my account homepage I saw what you said, i.e. the domain name is now ACTIVE at CloudFlare, so I am able to transfer it to CloudFlare. Thanks a lot!! You are a rocking star and I hope Daddy Christmas will be very nice to you this year.

ADDENDUM: As a matter of fact I have no problem updating the DNS to CloudFlare. At present there is no Web page created for that domain name. The key question I have now is to know if my starting FREE account I signed up with today would allow me to create a basic Web page. I am referring to something like a static one-page. I ask this question because it is not clear in my mind if CloudFlare also provides hosting services. My understanding is the FREE plan would only allow us to create very basic pages but I see no options or menu indicating that on my account dashboard. Likewise, I don’t know if I can create an email account with a free plan.

No problem, glad that helped!

Cloudflare don’t provide traditional hosting services where you upload files to a server. They do provide Cloudflare Pages which offers hosting for static sites and some other options like Workers or Pages Functions for developers.

If you’re comfortable with using something like GitHub and either building your site from scratch or using a static site builder like Hugo then you can host that on Cloudflare.

If you’re after normal web hosting then you’ll have to look elsewhere, I’m afraid.

Cloudflare have a beta service called Email Routing that offers email forwarding to an existing mailbox, but they don’t offer traditional mail hosting.

Hi

I am not going to bombard you with a lot of questions as I just signed up today and need to browse the site first before asking more questions. However, just to finish my support session for today I have two issues to highlight:

QUESTIONS: I am not a programmer, but will have a more detailed look at GitHub, Hugo, and Cloudflare Pages.

Q1: what about a WYSIWYG software called WebSite X5 (https://www.websitex5.com)? Anyway, I am not sure WebSite X5 would work as we need to upload files in a server.

Q2: Do paid plans at CloudFlare offer the ability to upload pages like traditional hosting plans?

COMMENT: CloudFlare emai routing sounds great as we can forward the messages to let’s Gmail. Also, at Gmail we could configure a business like email using our domain names. For example, the account [email protected] could be configured to receive emails sent to: [email protected]. The question here would be to know if I could configure a POP email account at Gmail for any domain bought from scratch at CloudFlare or after being transferred from another registrar to CloudFlare.

In short, as I see it, the setting above would enable us to use CloudFlare Email Routing to receive emails into Gmail, Outlook, or any other public webmail service. Then we could respond from Gmail from [email protected] even if the Gmail actual account name is [email protected]. By doing this we could avoid paying monthly business email services.

Thanks a lot

This isn’t going to work with Cloudflare pages, if that’s what you’re after I would recommend looking elsewhere. While you don’t need to be a developer to use Pages, I would say it’s relatively technical if you’ve never done anything like that before.

Short answer, no.

Yes.

This is trickier, Cloudflare does not offer a way to do this so you would need to figure out how to do this with the respective providers. I used to do something like this with Gmail, I switched to paid mail hosting due to issues with mail authentication and emails going to spam. Just something to think about.

Long answer, you’d have to upload your files (if it’s a static site and doesn’t use a database) to GitHub and then deploy to Pages. It’s a bit of a technical exercise, but it’s doable.

Cloudflare’s CTO did it, and wrote about it:

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I got it. It is clear the best solution would be to use CloudFlare coupled with a separate hosting plan offered by any company like NameCheap, HostGator, DoDaddy, etc. With regard to the email issue, I am inclined to agree because the POP setting may or may not work and I can tell you this based on previous experience.

The good news is that we could add any domain name to CloudFlare and then link the domain (s) parked at CloudFlare to any hosting plan. The only tricky thing CloudFlare users should be aware of is that I think certain features offered by hosting companies only work if we use their own DNS (I think this may be so if we wish to redirect a domain name to another domain name). Apart from that, CloudFlare looks amazing!

Thank you again

Lately, it’s rarely worth using a third party integration. The only “advantage” is it takes fewer clicks. But the drawback is you lose a fair amount of control over your configuration.

Thanks sdayman. Sorry for asking this but, what do you mean by “third party integration” in the context of the queries I have made today? Are you referring to DNS issues or to the fact of creating static pages with third party programs like Hugo, etc.?

By the way, today I bought a domain name at CloudFlare to check how it looks like. It’s amazing the range of feature offered by CloudFlare in comparison to the domain name management platform I see at NameCheap. The learning curve I have learned today is that the best option would be - at least for people like me with no coding experience- having our domain added to our account in CloudFlare and then pay for any external hosting company for website building purposes.

There’s you, there’s Cloudflare, and then are third parties (such as hosts) that connect you to Cloudflare. This isn’t the best way to go.

I will be transferring my domain names to CloudFlare instead of just updating them with the CloudFlare DNSs at the other end?

The only tricky thing I noticed in the domain name I bought today is that there is no option in the management area to get its AUTH CODE in case I decide to move it away from CloudFlare after 60 days elapse. The LOCK/UNLOCK option is closed but this is normal as I bought it today.

It sounds like you already transferred your domain name to Cloudflare, so now this is where you edit your DNS records.

You’ll get an Auth Code when you UNLOCK your domain here.

Thanks a lot. That what I thought was going to happen but needed confirmation. So, we cannot access the yolk of the egg (Auth Code) without breaking the shell (Unlock) and for this I would have wait for a minimum of 60 days, but it is not my intention to move it away from CloudFlare.

Just before leaving you for today, another issue is that Namecheap gives a 30-day grace period since expiry date during which we can reactivate the expired domain name without any additional cost (I am referring to DOT-COM). After 30 days we can also reactivate it but at a much higher price. Today I read the same policy is applied by CloudFlare but the language used is a little bit ambiguous. It is not clear when I read CloufFlare website ift there is an additional fee if adomain name is reactivated during the 30-day grace period. This is an important issue to know from scratch to avoid further misunderstanding. ¡Good night for now! [Good day here in New Zealand!!]

All I see is this:

During the RGP the domain may be restorable for an additional fee.

But are you really going to let a domain expire to find out?

sdayman, the point is I have many domain names, but am not rich. So far I have not lost any domain name for lack of payment. I just would like to know the exact amount to be paid as “additional fee”. Sometimes I cannot renew them by due date for lack of funds, but always pay them later within the RGP time frame. I am basically referring to static pages. At Namecheap, during RGP clients pay the same amount paid for normal renewal.

I suppose there is nothing wrong in trying to understand from scratch how CloudFlare works before being fully committed. This is what I have done today by asking questions. Again, I genuinely believe the expression “an additional fee” is ambiguous and could be a source of misunderstanding as it is always advisable to put things clear in business. Finally, my query refers to RGP pricing as of today as I am aware there may be later changes if the domain registry requires so.

As an aside, my concern seems to be premature, but I am used to such risk-management approach in life. My late father bought a lot of land (aka my resting place when I die) in the cemetery of my native town when I was 5 years old. It was an incredible deed coming from someone who was born and lived all his life in the Caribbean, but it is the truth. One day I asked him “Daddy, why you did such a thing?” His reply was a golden one “in that way you won’t have any reason to be worried in case you don’t own a home as you know there will always be one waiting for you. In the meantime, just think the sky is the roof of your home”. He always used to say “never ask how you can get into a cave, but rather how you will be able to get out”.

Understood. As it’s a .com, I can’t imagine that Cloudflare would charge more than the renewal itself. Dynadot charges $10, so I highly doubt Cloudflare would charge more, as they don’t markup any pricing over what it costs them to pay the registry.

p.s.

Your father was a very wise man. My father was also excellent at planning ahead, including for the very end, which he wasn’t shy about letting us know it would come some day.

Thank you. In such a case, it would be reasonable and fair even if the amount exceeds what you quoted. I am not implying CloudFlare would be acting dishonestly, but we all know there are a lot of companies out there that make use of ambiguous language on purpose to slice people into pieces later on as they know clients may default payment for a lot of reasons, most of the time inadvertently. They just use a legal trick. My late father also used to say “never tell a lie but you don’t have to always say the truth”. That guy was amazing and this is why I did not cry at all when he died as he is still in my heart. Sorry for the musing and personal tone. I am just used to express myself naturally. Thank you for your support. Bye

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.