Having issues with receiving email

Hi there, I’m having a lot of trouble with receiving emails.
Sending emails works just fine. I followed multiple threads on this forum that resulted in nothing, unfortunately.

I’m using Cloudflare for my DNS and my VPS for email.
Pointed an MX record to mail.microsupplies.net
I also made an A record (not proxied) to point to my vps.

Also pretty much did all the email security configurations…

Any idea what the issue might be?
If extra information is needed please let me know and I’ll provide it.

Are you referring to the apex domain of your mail host? If you are, the MX record looks fine, and port 25 is accessible on your mail server.

It’s probably time to open a thread over at the DirectAdmin Forums.

1 Like

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with receiving and/or sending e-mails while using Coudflare for your domain name.

Kindly, see below suggestions and tips for troubleshooting.

Usually, the MX record should point to a hostname such as mail , and the A (or CNAME ) type record for that hostname should be set to :grey: (DNS Only).

Furthermore, if you recently moved your domain to your Cloudflare account, I could try to troubleshoot at first sight without knowing anything other as it could be related to either:

1. Wrongly setup e-mail related DNS records at the DNS tab of Cloudflare dashboard for your domain name
  2. Possibly missing some TXT/CNAME records (for SPF, DKIM, DMARC if so?)
  3. You are using a hostname like yourdomain.com which is :orange: (proxied) rather than the unproxied :grey: (DNS-only) like mail.yourdomain.com (possible this one not existing or is :orange: instead of being :grey:) at the DNS tab of Cloudflare dashboard, in your e-mail client for sending/receiving server (MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.)

May I suggest checking below article if your e-mail records (usually the A mail and the MX record) are configured properly while you are using Cloudflare for your domain name:

Nevertheless, using online tools on the links below you could test and troubleshoot more what is going on with your e-mails:

Otherwise, you might have to troubleshoot if the port like 110/143/993/995 and 25/465/587 is open at your hosting provider and contact hosting provider to check this for you. If they are not open, then I am afraid you may not be able to receive any emails from using that web hosting/email provider.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply.
I have used the mail-tester.com before and it works wonders but unfortunately my emails don’t even arrive… Receiving emails however is not an issue.

I have the mx record sent to mail.microsupplies.net with the name microsupplies.net.
I have the A record set to my server’s IP address with DNS only. (its not proxied).

My SPF record is (I believe) set up correctly too.
As for the DKIM, I used DKIM Record Generator - DKIM tools | EasyDMARC
And for the DMARC, it was generated by Cloudflare.

Any other tips?

EDIT:

I am receiving a Mail delivery failed, this is the content:
[email protected]
(generated from [email protected])
host smarthost.spamfilterserver.com [87.236.99.29]
SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:[email protected] SIZE=3617:
550-Verification failed for [email protected]
550-Called: 162.19.157.143
550-Sent: RCPT TO:[email protected]
550-Response: 550 No such recipient here
550 Invalid sender [email protected]

Here is my DNS for those wondering:

Your DNS is not your problem, although you have some :orange: proxied records that could cause problems if you expect to use them with the protocols referenced by their names. Cloudflare does not proxy ftp, pop, or smtp. If you intend to use those host names with those protocols, you will need to set them to :grey: DNS Only.

Your mail server does not like your recipient email address. It does not exist on the receiving system. The mail server also does not like the sender email address. Based on the address formatting, it appears that your Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) is not working as intended.

It looks like you make use of a smarthost and possibly also hosted spam filtering capabilities from N-Able/SpamExerts. It might be worth reviewing your configuration of that platform with the vendor or your third-party integrator if you have one. This is not a problem that the Cloudflare Community can fix for you.

Hi there, thank you for the very detailed reply.

I’m running a VPS with DirectAdmin and it is not setup with SpamExperts, the sending party however, is running SpamExperts.

Do you have any clue on how to fix the SRS for DirectAdmin?

Unfortunately I don’t use either DirectAdmin or SRS, so I won’t have much to offer you on those two topics. My previous recommendation directing you to the DirectAdmin Forums was proposed because it seems likely to be a more effective resource for your particular situation, especially since your Cloudflare setup looks good (other than the :orange: proxied records for the ‘pop’ and ‘smtp’ hostnames which will yield undesirable results if used with non-HTTP protocols).

I’m not a big fan of running email services on web servers, nor do I endorse routing email to a destination MTA without a trip through a hosted spam filter first. I also find that forwarding email to external mailboxes in the age of DMARC is no longer an effective practice. All of this is just my opinion, and not the only way to do things, so you can give it consideration commensurate with what it cost you. :wink:

Good luck to you. I hope you are able to get this sorted quickly.

1 Like

Thank you again for the detailed explanation.

I was thinking about maybe using Mailgun or SendGrid for mail.
Thank you again!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.