Have IPv4 provider only, how to redirect IPv6 clients?

Hello. I’m new here. We have a virtual machine setup with a provider, and they do not support IPv6 as of now. Is Cloudflare able to redirect traffic both ways between the clients and our website?

My other issues is how do I create an AAAA record with an IPv6 address if I can’t assign that IP to the server?

Thank you!

In terms of CF’s IPv6 support, CF itself will create both an AAAA and A record for proxied :orange: DNS records, even if you only create an A or only an AAAA record for the subdomain (ie. the origin server only supports IPv4 or only supports IPv6). This will make it so clients connect to Cloudflare via either v4 or v6, but CF will connect to your server over v4.

Having a little trouble understanding some aspects of your question, so if this didn’t answer you, feel free to write back and clarify.

Thank you for your quick answer. I think it answers my questions. All we need is for v6 traffic to be routed to our v4-only server, and then back to v6-clients.

So I don’t need to setup Pseudo IPv4, the proxy for the A records will take care of that, is that what I understand?

Depends on if your application uses the client’s IP address (such as for allowing only admins to access certain pages or for other types of IP whitelisting). Since CF is a proxy, the request IP won’t have the real client’s IP. You’ll need to use the header Cf-Connecting-Ip to get it:

If your application has trouble with IPv6 IPs, you can use pseudo IPv4 to translate v6 IPs into V4 ips (although it’s not perfect)

I see. But I think you already answered my question with this, it fits what I had in mind.

In terms of CF’s IPv6 support, CF itself will create both an AAAA and A record for proxied :orange: DNS records, even if you only create an A or only an AAAA record for the subdomain (ie. the origin server only supports IPv4 or only supports IPv6). This will make it so clients connect to Cloudflare via either v4 or v6, but CF will connect to your server over v4.

1 Like