Handshake/HNS support (p2p DNS root)

Would it be possible to add Handshake as an alternative DNS root? I’d love to use it for my website with Cloudflare.

What is Handshake?

Handshake is a UTXO-based blockchain protocol which manages the registration, renewal and transfer of DNS top-level domains (TLDs). Our naming protocol differs from its predecessors in that it has no concept of namespacing or subdomains at the consensus layer. Its purpose is not to replace DNS, but to replace the root zone file and the root servers.

Relevant links:

This would be great - definitely second this!

3 Likes

Seconding this! NextDNS (the only other trusted resolver in Firefox besides Cloudflare) already supports Handshake name resolution as well.

3 Likes

I came here to ask a similar question - no need now, but would love to see it happen!

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Would love to here if it happens

There is some common ground here to explore. Let’s make that happen.

Would love to see this happen

I would also really love to see a dialog open between the Handshake community and Cloudflare. Not only can Cloudflare provide important services to the new internet, but they are invited to participate directly in the blockchain project. From the Handshake Whitepaper:

Cloudflare, Inc. (DE, US) is a corporation doing fundamental research for
naming, caching, and certificate authorities. They are allocated 6,800,000 of the
initial token supply.

Cloudflare can claim the Handshake TLD .cloudflare and receive their HNS coin allotment.

More details:

https://hsd-dev.org/guides/claims.html

1 Like

I’ve spoke to Nick Sullivan a few times, online and in-person. I believe they’re looking into making their Name Claim, but for now there’s internal blockades while they figure out the legality around that.

Providing them as many resources, PoCs, and documentation as possible is probably the most we can do for now. That and keep making noise :).