.Gov nameservers for cloudflare

I am trying to setup my .GOV domain and i cannot find the right CloudFlare nameservers to add to the registrar information on the .gov site

They are told to you as soon as you add the domain to Cloudflare.

that’s the problem. i need to the nameservers to validate on the .GOV site and so i cannot add them to cloudflare until it is validated.

If I understand correctly, it works the opposite way. You add the domain to Cloudflare, you get a pair of nameservers, you add them to the registrar and the domain is activated here.

Not for .Gov, i go to the add a site here and give it my domain name but it does not pick up because the .gov needs the nameserver to validate before it goes live.

That’s right. You must add your own NS or use the one your domain registrar provided to you as default NS. Then, once they are propagated, add the site again on Cloudflare.

If you are able to share your domain, we can look into it and do some tests/analyses on our side.

1 Like

cityofmebanenc.gov

That domain isn’t registered at all, it seems. You need to register it first, then add it to Cloudflare.

I believe it’s registered, but pending. Pending what? I’m not sure.

1 Like

It is the issue is the name server not being validated.

A Terminal WHOIS returns no results :slight_smile: so it’s probably that.

And what are you putting there now?

i used the one.one.one.one for cloudflare

That’s not correct. Use the default name servers for you registrar. Then do the Cloudflare steps.

This may be similar to the .de (or is it .dk?) where it won’t let you set name servers until the name servers you want to use already respond for your hostname.

My immediate suggestion would be to add it to dns.he.net (free service) to jumpstart the process of having that domain appear to be active.

It requires the domain to be active, at the very least. Since it’s freshly registered, it won’t have issues with that (those appear only on cross-Cloudflare moves). The domain must exist, otherwise Cloudflare won’t accept it.

that’s the point. the .gov does not have that option you have to use the nameserver that you are trying to point to, which is cloudflare. it is not a regular hosting scenario.

This seems extremely weird, but I have had to deal with .gov domains. Try and use a third-party as @sdayman suggested. Not sure Cloudflare can help here… we might try and escalate it, but I doubt it will solve something.

1 Like

This is a Chicken and Egg scenario. Cloudflare require you to have active nameservers before you can add your domain to their service. As @sdayman suggested, set the domain up temporarily on dns.he.net, then change to Cloudflare once the domain is active.

3 Likes

Do they have a secondary one as well. I have to have two