ISP: Google Fiber
Primary DNS: 126.96.36.199
Having issues with using Cloudflare DNS on wifi devices to access YouTube/YouTube TV video streams? If I switch to Google DNS (188.8.131.52) everything works again. Also desktop wired computers work fine on both.
I’m seeing roughly the same as others. I was using 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 and in the last few days YouTube as effectively stopped working on my home network. I can get to the site and browse videos (from desktop computer or iOS device). However, it’s when you go to play a video that it just sits there and the video never loads.
I started ruling out things in my environment and determined that if I swapped out the Clourflare DNS servers for Google (18.104.22.168) that YouTube went back to working properly. It seems like others are having a similar experience.
I don’t have a resolution but wanted to share my experience here in hopes that Cloudflare can look into this issue further.
Having the same issue here. I first noticed it about 1pm (Central) on Wednesday July 27 when it failed to work. It worked that morning, but beyond that, no luck. I can’t use YouTube on any device on my network or YouTube TV, had to switch to Quad9 and it worked. It works on any an all other DNS providers besides Cloudflare. So something is up and they will need to look into it.
That’s not the issue it’s google changing CNAME’s every time you try to load media. The CNAME changes even for the same item. I think they’re trying to backdoor tracking, but at the same time ns2. google .com appears to be failing lookups according to dnssy. So even the browser app retrying will just get a new CNAME and Cloudflare will return a SERVFAIL the first time that gets hit. This is happening across the board with a lot of ISP’s with people using non google DNS servers.