Google isn’t the company that we should have handed the Web over to

I’m a web developer so I’m probably a bit biased, but not having to run Webdriver for UI testing another browser is great news for me.

Also, this news is a bit different from what happened in the early 2000s with Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer was a behemoth with 94% marketshare, but it was closed-sourced meaning that nobody was able to audit it, add-on to it, or fork it to make their own implementation.

Chrome(-based) browsers are now at 64%, which is hardly the same dominance IE had in 2003. Also, chromium is open-sourced, so anyone can audit, test, and implement the things it does to keep up. Edge will keep the edge look and feel, it will just use the blink render engine so that users don’t get mad and switch to Chrome when web pages break because the developers decided to develop for chrome and/or don’t UI test edge.

@Judge, I am afraid I’ll have to disagree with you on these points but I did not intend to start a heated discussion :slight_smile: but only wanted to share that article, respectively raise awareness as far as it concerns yet another browser monopoly IMHO.

1 Like

I’ll just drop this quote here as food for thought.

“Mozilla’s position is already tricky, dependent as it is on Google’s funding.”

Article also stated “When Microsoft’s transition is complete, we’re looking at a world where Chrome and Chrome-derivatives take about 80 percent of the market, with only Firefox, at 9 percent”

Not sure how accurate those numbers are - I’m sure there would be plenty of debate. But when your competition is a large source of your funding - how open and competitive can the market actually be?

These numbers appear to be pretty accurate

Subtracting from the overall market 10% Firefox share, 5% IE, 5% Safari, and assuming the 4% Other are mostly Chromium based we’d arrive at that 80% market share of Chrome and its shells.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.