Google Cloud Run subdomain DNS with specific examples

I deploy two services to Google Cloud Run. The root domain is “claraom.io” with both the root and “www.claraom.io” pointing to the frontend service, and “api.claraom.io” pointing to the api service.

Cloud Run suggests to map “claraom.io” to via A and AAAA records to 8 different IPs. That works absolutely fine so long as the records are “DNS only” and I use full SSL/TLS encryption mode.

The problem is with the subdomains ([email protected] and [email protected]). Cloud run suggests to map those via CNAME to “ghs.googlehosted.com.”. Setting that up doesn’t work, the subdomains set up that way don’t seem to resolve. But when I set up the subdomains using A and AAAA records by pointing them to the root domains IPs it all works fine, but that needs setting up 8 records for each subdomain!

Can someone help me understand how to correctly configure the DNS using CNAME to point to Cloud Run for my subdomains?

To experiment with CNAME, set it to :grey: and see if that works (give it five minutes to propagate). It might, but then it won’t proxy through Cloudflare. In that case, you’d have to do all those DNS records…which won’t quite kill you (close, though). Geez, that’s a lot of IP addresses. I hope they don’t ever change.

p.s. I really don’t think you have a choice here. If :orange: doesn’t work, and you want it proxied, you’ll just have to bite the bullet and create those DNS records.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.