Godaddy / Cloudflare 520 error (recent change)

Just to add a few infos: Godaddy managed wordpress, Cloudflare free SSL and DNS. Solution after having called Godaddy: buy their SSL certificate.

I have sites with GoDaddy SSL and Cloudflare experiencing the same issue. Use GoDaddy SSL and turn off Cloudflare gets it working but that is hardly a solution when we want to use all the excellent features of Cloudflare like Edge Caching and blocking spam traffic.

| uilios
September 7 |

• | - |

Just to add a few infos: Godaddy managed wordpress, Cloudflare free SSL and DNS. Solution after having called Godaddy: buy their SSL certificate.

Does anyone have a step by step tutorial on how tu return to Godaddy hosting without SSL? When I tried, ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR’ occurred.

Exactamente igual… llevo tres días intentando y nada. Al contactar con Godaddy no encuentran el problema por su parte y proponen cambiar los DNS hacia ellos… nada, el problema con eso es que entonces no me deja acceder “no puede abrir la página porque no ha podido establecer conexión segura con el servidor”… Si vuelvo a cambiar los DNS a cloudflare, error 520… Alguien que nos ilumine por favor…

Gracias por adelantado

Exactamente lo mismo…

So as part of https://community.cloudflare.com/t/random-520-errors/ we fixed an issue with origins silently ending a keepalive connection that was causing very rare 520 errors.

Thus we recommend testing again - if you still see 520s - make sure you follow the guidance in our community tip here:

1 Like

Hi Simon,

Thank you for joining the thread.

I can confirm the issue still exists across multiple sites on different IP addresses and there are a range of people in this thread also experiencing it.

All of us have GoDaddy Managed WordPress and Cloudflare in common.

I have worked through the troubleshooting however most of is not possible to do as we don’t have server level access. GoDaddy support has been contacted by all of us and we all get the same answer, turn off Cloudflare and use our SSL. Note here - many of my examples have GoDaddy SSL on the origin (using full or full strict) some have flexible and just use Cloudflare SSL. Either way the issue is always exactly the same. The site intermittently loads maybe 20% of the time and gives 520 the rest.

When Cloudflare proxy is disabled the sites come back up and stay up.

What can we provide you to troubleshoot deeper at Cloudflares end?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dan

simon Cloudflare Team
September 9

So as part of https://community.cloudflare.com/t/random-520-errors/ we fixed an issue with origins silently ending a keepalive connection that was causing very rare 520 errors.

Thus we recommend testing again - if you still see 520s - make sure you follow the guidance in our community tip here:

1 Like

Interestingly, this started happening to my WordPress site a couple of weeks ago. When I investigated the issue, I found out that Godaddy had automatically downgraded the PHP version to 5.3, while I had the latest version of WordPress running on 7.4.

I went to the CPanel and set the PHP version back to 7.4 and smooth sailing since then. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the input. We’re using the GoDaddy Managed WordPress which is running PHP 7.3. I checked to confirm the WordPress site health (after some frustrating reloads to get through the login it’s just about possible) and it’s saying 7.3 is running.

2 Likes

In your case @golivenow - your origin is resetting the TCP connection to Cloudflare - that’s the #1 cause of HTTP 520 errors. You will need to check your origin server error logs to understand why the origin is resetting the TCP connection.

Typically it breaks down into two reasons:

1. Some security device or firewall is resetting connections from Cloudflare IPs - you should disable that logic for the Cloudflare IPs if so
  2. Your origin application or server is encountering some sort of fatal error when processing the request and the TCP connection is reset. Checking the origin server error logs is important here to verify why that might be happening. Fatal errors in your PHP can cause this, for sure.
1 Like

Hi, Same problem here. WordPress, GoDaddy, SSL with GoDaddy since 2 week ago. Two days ago we changed to PHP 8 but we still are having random 520 error.
We couldn’t change de proxy with Cloudflare because my site stop working.
Does anybody were able to resolve it?

1 Like

I was a afraid you you would say something like that. GoDaddy Managed WordPress support will never go to length of checking the server logs and resolving any issues there. As long as disabling Cloudflare makes the website work again then it’s they believe it’s not their issue and they have no obligation to support a third party platform, case closed.

In terms of security device/plugin I’ve disabled all plugins and have the default theme. So it has to be something at server level.

simon Cloudflare Team
September 9

In your case @golivenow - your origin is resetting the TCP connection to Cloudflare - that’s the #1 cause of HTTP 520 errors. You will need to check your origin server error logs to understand why the origin is resetting the TCP connection.

Typically it breaks down into two reasons:

1. Some security device or firewall is resetting connections from Cloudflare IPs - you should disable that logic for the Cloudflare IPs if so
  2. Your origin application or server is encountering some sort of fatal error when processing the request and the TCP connection is reset. Checking the origin server error logs is important here to verify why that might be happening. Fatal errors in your PHP can cause this, for sure.

I will share a cURL with you privately against your origin IP that shows the error - but basically this is quite easy to reproduce in your case:

👀 $ curl -svo /dev/null http://example.com --connect-to ::1.2.3.4
* Connecting to hostname: 1.2.3.4
*   Trying 1.2.3.4...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to 1.2.3.4 (1.2.3.4) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: example.com
> User-Agent: curl/7.64.1
> Accept: */*
>
* Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
* Closing connection 0

If you replace example.com with your hostname and 1.2.3.4 with your origin IP and run this curl command you can see in this case, the origin is resetting the TCP connection. That will cause a HTTP 520.

1 Like

Error 520: web server returns an unknown error

Error 520 occurs when the origin server returns an empty, unknown, or unexpected response to Cloudflare.

Resolution

A quick workaround while further investigating 520 errors is to either grey cloud the DNS record in the Cloudflare DNS app or temporarily pause Cloudflare.

Contact your hosting provider or site administrator and request a review of your origin web server error logs for crashes and to check for these common causes:

• Origin web server application crashes
  • Cloudflare IPs not allowed at your origin
  • Headers exceeding 16 KB (typically due to too many cookies)
  • An empty response from the origin web server that lacks an HTTP status code or response body
  • Missing response headers or origin web server not returning proper HTTP error responses

520 errors are prevalent with certain PHP applications that crash the origin web server.

If 520 errors continue after contacting your hosting provider or site administrator, provide the following information to Cloudflare Support:

Have you tried those steps already?

I never used Godaddy Managed WordPress Hosting ever for my clients and my own websites, it’s a pain in the neck of course.

Please check the earlier replies

Yeh I agree but with a wide client base to service they GD hosted sites will always appear in the portfolio. Let’s focus on the solution.

Although we have disabled Wordfence I can try whitelisting the Cloudflare IP range.

I think 2 could be likely, but it’s the same dead end with getting their support to acknowledge this when disabling Cloudflare gets it working and they are not obligated to support third party services.

If you believe that there is nothing further you can do at the Cloudflare end I guess we’ve reached a stalemate…

1 Like

Cloudflare unfortunately can’t make your server not reset TCP connections - as much as I wish we had a magic wand in this case :slight_smile: . I sent you the cURL privately that proves your origin is doing that, I’d share it with your hosting provider and ask them to investigate.

1 Like

Yeh it figures. Thank you for your help, I’ll report back.