Godaddy / Cloudflare 520 error (recent change)

We’ve been looking after around 100 sites which are mostly on GoDaddy and around 25% of them are using Cloudflare with the proxy turned on and either Flexible or Full SSL (not that it makes a difference in this case).

Last Monday, all of the sites using Cloudflare started getting the browser 520 error intermittently, uptime has been around 50%, you can literally refresh and watch it load or fail (520) randomly and it’s been that way for a week now.

If we turn off the Cloudflare proxy the site comes back and stays up indefinitely.

What can we conclude here? Surely Godaddy can’t just decide to block Cloudflare use? Anyone else getting the same issue?

Thanks in advance

Hi @golivenow,

Not a good idea, see Why you should choose Full Strict, and only Full Strict

We recommend checking these troubleshooting tips.

If you have been through these thoroughly and are not seeing corresponding issues on your network/server and you have a ticket number with Cloudflare, please reply and post that #.

To enable efficient troubleshooting by support, please ensure you include the following on the ticket:

• example URL(s) where you are seeing the error
  • Ray IDs from the 520 pages
  • output from a traceroute from any impacted user
  • output of example.com/cdn-cgi/trace - replace example.com with the affected domain.
  • Also include two HAR file(s) : one detailing your request with Cloudflare enabled on your website and the other with Cloudflare temporarily disabled - see How do I temporarily deactivate Cloudflare ?
1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I understand the problems with flex/full, but it’s not related here unless you know otherwise.

Thanks for the troubleshooting. I should have mentioned that I have gone through these as standard but with Godaddy Managed WordPress hosting does not allow access to anything server level so it’s not possible to test these other than all plugins disabled and default theme.

I’m 100% convinced it’s a issue a Godaddy’s end, which they won’t support of course since Cloudflare is third-party.

I’m posting here to try catch other users who may be Googling the issue to see if it’s not just us.

2 Likes

I have been using cloudflare with GoDaddy and there is no such issue(◔‿◔)

Thanks for the reply. Are you using Managed WordPress and do you have an SSL certificate on the server? Any other details on your setup would be helpful to know, thank you.

I am using AWS ec2 instance with nginx wordpress.
Cloudflare SSL set to full strict and no problem

Edit bitnami wordpress nginx

I have the exact same problem. Also using godaddy and Wordpress hosting and started around a week.
Just called godaddy they told me to change the a record IP but the one they sent me was the same I already had. not sure what to do now.

I got the exact same answer from them to realize it was the same A record just after I got off the phone with them! :sweat_smile: :rofl:

They are truly useless. The only way I’ve managed to solve it is by turning off Cloudflare so I’m not sure we have many other options. Not in a position to migrate so many sites elsewhere, too many different clients, it’s a nightmare…

Apparently, these random 520 errors are a problem of cloudflare itself. Since the last week, many users (myself included) have been posting here on the forum to talk about it, and coincidentally, all are happening under similar circumstances. And yes, it started early last week.

There are reports here on the forum that this issue is only happening with cloudflare free plans. A user has already reported that he tested some sites that were having problems, but within a pro plan, and the errors had simply disappeared. Another user recently posted here that when switching to pro, the problems were gone.

One of the moderators even commented in my thread I made about the 520 error (and other people’s as well) that due to the number of reports of the 520 error under similar circumstances, they would be escalating the issue to support.

Hello, same 520 error here. I’m using wordpress and godaddy.

If you bypass the Cloudflare proxy does the site load consistently? (Turn off the orange toggle on the A record in your DNS, test in incog or another browser)

I currently have the same problem with 520 errors when using Cloudflare and managed WordPress at GoDaddy. This started Saturday (4th September) evening.

If I pause the site at Cloudflare, there are no more 520 errors. GoDaddy weren’t much help as soon as I mentioned Cloudflare.

I disabled every option on the Cloudflare site but the problems still exist. I’m not sure what else to try other than moving the site elsewhere, and/or removing the site from Cloudflare and re-adding it.

Hello,

I thought I was the only one struggling with this: 520 error since saturday night,
www.voilapatricia.com

I also use Wordpress at GoDaddy. I ve just talked with them, I knew It was gonna be useless, but I tried anyway. They ask me to change the name servers and etc.

I also sent a ticket to Cloudflare support, I just hope to open soon my website without pressing F5 many times (and asking to my community to do the same).

If not, i should change of SSL provider or go to Cloudflare Pro? No idea by now.

A solution should appears for all.

yes, its a nightmare. I hope soon all get a solution.

What do you mean by that?

Hello my friend, after 3 F5 I could enter to your website.

I hope soon all get fixed.

to buy GoDaddy SSL for example, or others.

I will wait anyway.

Don’t you have SSL with your host right now?