Gmail MX records for email forwarding

I was using Cloudflare’s Email Routing, but emails were being delayed and people sending me email were getting delayed notifications. I disabled Email Routing, deleted the corresponding MX and TXT records, re-added the Gmail MX records, but now I can’t receive any email whatsoever. When sending to that email account, I get the following bounce back message:

The following message to **** was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-“5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try\n5.1.1 double-checking the recipient’s email address for typos or\n5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. For more information, go to\n5.1.1 Fix bounced or rejected emails - Gmail Help i20-20020ac85c14000000b00430d6588b20si4931337qti.769 - gsmtp”

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

What Gmail MX records? The hostnames in your MX records need to belong to mailservers that accepts messages for your domain. Unless you have a Google Workspace account, Google is not going to have a corresponding user for delivery.

I do have a Google workspace account. Before switching to Cloudflare a couple months ago (from Google Domains), the M X servers were pointing to Gmail’s 5 different M X records. Somehow after switching to Cloudflare, Email Routing was enabled (probably something I did) and has worked until recently when senders were getting notifications back like this:

The response from the remote server was:

421 4.3.0 Upstream error, please check Postmaster · Cloudflare Email Routing docs for possible reasons why. qUe1O8WvUj09

After seeing this is when I noticed the MX records associated with Email Routing. After removing those and adding the old Gmail associated M X records (that worked when on Google Domains, and working until just recently on Cloudflare), I now can’t receive anything and get the original error I posted.

Just trying to pinpoint where the issue is and how to get mail working again. Thanks for any help!

Even if the problem ends up involving DNS records, you need to work this from the Google side since that is where the issue ultimately lies. You definitely do not want to enable Cloudflare Email Routing.

I’d review the Google Workspace email documentation and compare it with your current settings. You may also want to see what you can find in Google’s Community.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.