Getting Error 525 even though no changes were made

Hi, I started getting error 525 this morning even though I haven’t changed any of my SSL settings. Cloudflare was running perfectly for about a year before this. I’m on the free plan and had it set to FULL SSL. DNS settings are all ok, IP address is good. Not sure why this is happening. Site is running WP.

I tried turning off SSL in the Cloudflare dashboard, and the error went away, but I was treated to a white screen.

Any idea on why this is happening, or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

What is is the domain?
Have you checked the certificate on the host?

1 Like

The domain is removed

I contact the shared hosting provider but they did not see any issues on their end.

I don’t think I have a dedicated certificate.

Hi @harvey,

Can you pause Cloudflare and check that your site loads OK over HTTPS?

You can pause Cloudflare from the Overview tab of the Cloudflare Dashboard, bottom right under Advanced Actions.

Also, you may want to have a look at Community Tip - Fixing Error 525: SSL handshake failed for more troubleshooting ideas.

Hi, I paused it, but I still get the same error.

1 Like

It may take a few minutes after you pause it to work, you also shouldn’t get a Cloudflare error page if you have paused it. If you leave it paused for a bit, I will have a look.

Ok. I will leave it paused. Thanks!

1 Like

Great, it looks like it is an issue at your host. With Cloudflare paused, you can see what is coming directly from the server and Cloudflare is only acting as the DNS provider.

In this case, I see the following message directly from your site:

If you leave Cloudflare paused, your host may find it easier to help you troubleshoot the issue.

I appreciate it! I will contact them once again.

Thanks!

1 Like

They still cannot find the issue.

OK, are they not seeing the error I posted a screenshot of on their end? I still see that same message. If they are, then that is not a Cloudflare error and is coming directly from them, but will likely cause the 525 error if Cloudflare is enabled.

They saw the error, but don’t know whats causing it. Can it maybe be a redirect in my wordpress installation? I tried replacing my .htaccess file with a blank one, but it still redirects to https.

Whether it redirects to HTTPS is not the issue, it needs to load over HTTPS with an SSL certificate on the server if you want SSL enabled in Cloudflare. Unfortunately it is not something that can be fixed on Cloudflare’s end.

@harvey It looks like it is not sending a certificate.
ubuntu_8mUO5Z8D0e

2 Likes

Thanks. Could that be because I paused Cloudflare, or is that unrelated?

It is why you are getting the 525.
525 means that it unable to establish a SSL handshake. Cloudflare is trying to establish a SSL handshake and it is unable to. When you paused we are directly connected to the service and still unable to get a certificate.

1 Like

Found the problem. Hosting is with 1&1 and I was using their free SSL certificate until now, but for some reason it was deactivated. I had to port away from namecheap to another registrar just so I can change my nameservers back to 1&1, in order to reactivate the SSL certificate! Thanks for your help everyone!

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted, @harvey :slight_smile:

1 Like

@iamlatin Please create your own thread for your issue.

Edit:
Also please keep your language professional

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.