Getting a 404 (The requested URL was not found on this server)

Hello good people,

I have the following problem. I run the domain de-antiquis-et-novis.com with my hosting provider Strato in Germany. Recently I have changed DSN to CloudFlare. Initially everything worked flawlessly, but after a day or so I suddenly can’t access the site anymore. Instead https://de-antiquis-et-novis.com returns “The requested URL was not found on this server”. I am puzzled because the process describing how to switch to CloudFlare is quite straight forward.

The IP of the web page stayed the same, so that can’t be the problem.

May be I have misconfigured something and really would appreciate your help.

Here’s what I have set in the DNS section of Strato
Nameserver 1: elle.ns.cloudflare.com
Nameserver 2: finley.ns.cloudflare.com

And here are the settings in CloudFlare

Any help is highly appreciated.

Hi @mschorer,

I see that you have both an A and AAAA record for apex domain. This usually is not necessary as Cloudflare automatically adds an invisble AAAA that proxies request to your IPv4 origin. If that IPv6 address belongs to a different machine, this could cause issues when Cloudflare contacts your origin over IPv6.

Could you try removing the AAAA record and see if that fixes the issue?

Hi, I have removed the AAAA record. Still same problem, or how long does it take until the change propagates?

The changes propagate immediately so the AAAA record was probably not the problem. Perhaps there’s an issue with the configuration at your origin?

Hi Albert, could the SRV record be a problem? Is it even needed? Pardon my question, but I am not a DNS expert at all.

On the target side there’s nothing I can configure, apart from the NS record. Everything else is blanked out since I switched the nameservers to Coudflare.

404 Not Found ( RFC7231 )

Origin server was unable or unwilling to find the resource requested. This usually means the host server could not find the resource. To serve a more permanent version of this error one should use a 410 error code.

These errors typically occur when someone mistypes a URL on your site when there is a broken link from another page, when a page that previously existed is moved or removed, or there is an error when a search engine indexes your site. For a typical site, these errors account for approximately 3% of the total page views, but they’re often untracked by traditional analytics platforms like Google Analytics.

Website owners usually implement a custom page to be served when this error is generated.

Cloudflare does not generate 404s for customer websites, we only proxy the request from the origin server. When seeing a 404 for your Cloudflare powered site you should contact your hosting provider for help.

Hi @mschorer,

I’ve looked around a bit and this seems to be a known issue:

As mentioned in the post above, the best solution would be to simply switch host :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Albert,

thanks for your answer.

I know of the Strato IP change problem.

1. The IP has not changed since I have switched to CloufFlare

2. It worked for a while before suddenly getting the 404

3. Even if the IP changes, I use a DDNS Updater script to set the new IP via CloudFlare API. It checks every 5 Minutes for an IP change.

4. Changing from Strato is not easy because I use their Homepage builder.

5. is there a way I can find out what the 404 page actually says?

6. I can access the page using the server directly: https://510732357.swh.strato-hosting.eu

Any other idea?

I will inquire with Strato in parallel.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.