General question about CDN

Hello everyone. I’m relatively new to the CDN world and I have a couple of questions I’m hoping someone can clarify for me. First, I’ve been running my personal website for nearly 20 years and due to increasing traffic and bandwidth constraints, my ISP suggested I sign up for Cloudflare’s free CDN after I began experiencing server issues.

I’ve been on Cloudflare’s CDN for a couple of weeks now and everything is running smoothly – well, almost. I am having issues with Google Analytics which I’m currently investigating. But my main question centers around the need to upload (FTP) content to an IP address instead of my usual URL.

Hypothetically, if I decided to pause or stop the CDN, what would happen to all the files I uploaded to the IP address? Would I then need to re-upload them through my ISP to my url?

Honestly, I’m still a little confused how the CDN works and how it manages all of my files in place of my ISP…

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

John

Cloudflare is not really a CDN, rather a caching reverse proxy. So any content of yours is only temporarily stored with Cloudflare and still hosted with your actual webhost.

Check out Overview · Cloudflare Fundamentals docs

2 Likes

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.