G Suite and custom URLs via CNAME and DNS

Hi community,

a few days ago I added a new domain of mine to my free plan of Cloudflare. I have two custom URLs connected to my G Suite account. Both subdomains won’t work because all browsers complain about being unable to establish a secure connection to that server. SSLLabs is telling the same thing.

You can try to open http://downloads.ulfklose.media

Google’s support wasn’t very helpful with that problem so I hope someone here can shed light onto it.

Thank you.

If you want to have proxy enabled (aka :orange:) you need to set SSL to Flexible for those subdomains, via Page Rule or site-wide (not recommended).

Otherwise it works for me as it is with :grey:… obviously if you were to preload HSTS then the first option would be the only viable one!

Thank you for your answer. I want the grey cloud, that’s all fine with me, but it still doesn’t work. The same problem with both subdomains. And I have no idea where to search for the problem. Without Cloudflare it works just fine.

It works for me just fine though, it loads the login screen with the domain written correctly in the UI.

I think I’ll remove the domain from my account and set it up again afterwards. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

You sure it doesn’t work for you?

I tried it with four different browsers on two different systems from two different Internet connections. Setting it up again is a matter of minutes so I’ll try that now.

But, what do you expect to see? Because it worked fine the first time for me!

It won’t load the Drive (or whatever) UI in the Custom URL, it will simply redirect to the standard Google web page.

It did? That’s strange, because at my end I only get an error that a SSL connection couldn’t be established. Repeatedly. Using SSLLabs’ SSL test verified that: SSL connection error.

Meanwhile I deleted the site from my account and restored the DNS settings from my provider. I’ll wait an hour or so and set it up again at Cloudflare. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

You could have some cached DNS info in your browser for some strange reason…

In all of them? On two systems and two different internet connections?

Maybe the DNS provider had some issues, no clue! It redirected fine without issues for me…

Maybe it forced HTTPS for some reason and so it failed!

I’ll wait till tomorrow. Hopefully it will work by then.

 ~  nslookup downloads.ulfklose.media
Server:		10.0.0.157
Address:	10.0.0.157#53

Non-authoritative answer:
downloads.ulfklose.media	canonical name = ghs.googlehosted.com.
Name:	ghs.googlehosted.com
Address: 216.58.213.211

~ ping downloads.ulfklose.media
PING ghs.googlehosted.com (216.58.213.211): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 216.58.213.211: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=18.584 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.213.211: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=16.521 ms
^C
--- ghs.googlehosted.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.521/17.553/18.584/1.031 ms

BTW: it seems to work now. The redirect is working. Seems as if deleting the whole thing helped.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.