Like some others here, I’ve experienced the “too many redirects” issues on two of my sites.
Two points to add to the discussion…
I have about 8-9 sites on Cloudflare, and they are also all on the same hosting service (CloudWays/Digital Ocean). So I was always wondering why these two sites had this annoying problem and the other 6-7 did not.
Then it occured to me that the two with the issue were my two oldest sites, and originally built on the http protocol, then later the domain was redirected to https. The other 6-7 are newer and were https from get-go.
The second clarification that I’m trying to understand is this; I’ve seen it mentioned that “It’s not a Cloudflare issue, it’s a server issue.”
But I’m wondering if it’s more accurate to say that the problem stems from a conflict or redundancy in the http > https redirect settings. Meaning, this instruction should EITHER occur at the server level OR at the Cloudflare level… but not both, which might be the/a cause of this redirect loop.
Any feedback would be appreciated, as it would it would helpl clarify the issue for me, and hopefully others, too.
The usual: Use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com. The link is in the lower right corner of that page. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS. Only then should you un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).
As always, security starts at the origin. If you want your site to have HTTPS, the site configuration needs to be HTTPS. Trying to do so after the fact, and not at the origin is a recipe for disaster.
It’s like you walked into an ice cream shop with your dad and the shopkeeper asks you what you want. You say Vanilla, and your dad says “He wants chocolate.” The messaging is inconsistent and just confuses the shopkeeper.
Yes, of course I’ve read all of “the usual” old threads and have already done all of those standard steps. Didn’t change anything or even give me any further clues.
The point is, I have albout 8 sites configured the same, and something is wonky on two of them for some reason. Obviously I made some small change in a random setting somewhere along the way, and now I can’t seem to undo it. Or even identify it.
In any case, I guess what you’re saying essentially is that it has nothing to do with Cloudflare, and that it’s a server issue. Thing is, I spent an hour and a half with my hosting service’s support and they insisit that it’s a Cloudflare issue.
Again, I think I created a conflict or redundancy along the way. I don’t know. Ever since I started using Cloudflare this problem has surfaced again and again. Seems like submitting this discussion in the “security” category wasn’t the correct choice.