[function.include]: SSL: connection timeout

Hi CloudFlare,

I have a random problem and fingers crossed someone here might be able to help with a solution.

I have a server hosting multiple websites, and Pro CF accounts for each of them.

The sites have been working perfectly for many months but in the last few days an error has popped up. Where as before I was using a PHP include function to pull some content into the homepage, I’m now being given an error which reads:

Warning: include() [function.include]: SSL: connection timeout in ./main.php on line 689

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed to enable crypto in /main.php on line 689

Warning: include(./new-cat-feat-audiology/) [function.include]: failed to open stream: operation failed in /main.php on line 689

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening ‘./new-cat-feat-audiology/’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/php/includes:/usr/share/php’) in /main.php on line 689

The code on the websites haven’t been edited for many months, and the settings at Cloudflare haven’t been touched either. Obviously something has changed or been updated to create the error, but I’m at a loss as where to start looking? Has anyone experienced anything similar before?

Any help at all would be incredibly helpful. At the moment I have half a dozen sites all showing errors.

If I understand correctly you are including elements from your site on your site via an HTTP URL. Is that right? If so, do yourself a favour and refactor that code to avoid network calls but go straight for the file system respectively execute any code as a regular function call instead.

Hi Sandro,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yeah, essentially the homepage of website.com is using an include to pull in content from a blog system which for example is visible on website.com/blog/content.php

All under the same domain, and the same server.

Are you saying that rather than pull in the code from a full URL I should be using relative server URLs?

I think I might need to head off and google ‘regular function call’ for this, sounds a bit over my head!

Generally yes, though it might still require some changes to the code. That depends on your code however.

I was referring to a regular code execution in a system context. If your URL does not return just content but also executes some code you might have to change that bit too.

The fundamental point is, you should avoid performing work which is internal to your site by calling a public URL of your site. This is not just a potential security issue but also yields issues like the one at hand.