Full SSL doesn't work for my website (Wordpress.com – Bluehost hosting)

I have recently migrated my website onurconsulting . com from WordPress . com to WordPress . org.

I have changed the DNS records inside Cloudflare, but when I select Full SSL – it doesn’t work.
When I select Flexible SSL – it works, but the website isn’t fully secured.

Can you please help?

Onur

You need working SSL on your site first. You currently have a wildcard certificate for *.bluehost.com on your origin site.

You need to install a certificate from either a publicly recognized CA or use a Cloudflare Origin certificate.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback.

According to a Bluehost rep – I had to change my nameservers from Cloudflare servers to Bluehost servers.

If I change it back to Cloudflare nameservers, how do I use a Cloudflare Origin Certificate?

Thank you!

Follow the guides available on https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/origin-ca/

1 Like

Oh I’m very much a noob at all that!

Oh I’m very much a noob at all that!

Just say the bluehost to generate SSL for you on the host level without you requiring changing the name server to them. keep the domain unproxied while you say them that.

Thank you for your response!

I have changed the nameservers back to Cloudflare (because I have many records from other software) and selected “Full SSL”.

I’m not sure why selecting Full SSL doesn’t work for me but Flexible SSL works (inside Cloudflare)

Full is just as insecure.

1 Like

Thanks Sandro! I have selected “Full Strict” now.

I seem to have a “Universal Cloudflare Certificate” under Edge Certificates.

Will this work?

I am afraid it won’t, as that is just the certificate for the proxies.

As @epic.network mentioned, you need the certificate for your server. He did mention Origin certificates and the article has the details on that as well.

if Bluehost won’t generate the SSL for you at host level, then you’ll have to keep it at flexible only. I will never keep my site at such hosts who would try to charge you for a SSL. If you’re paying for it monthly, move away from it.

thank you Sandro, I’ve just done everything that’s said by @epic.network.

However, the issue still exists (I believe).

Can you see at a glance why?

Your site seems to load to fine on HTTPS. If you are on Full Strict, your site should be secure at this point.

If not, I’d suggest to pause Cloudflare (Overview screen, bottom right), fix the server, and unpause Cloudflare only once the site loads fine on HTTPS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.