FTP / ftps to my Synology NAS

Hello all.

I have Cloudflare up and running for most of my required services. However when I set up a CNAME for my FTP service it does not seem to work. When I try to access it with my FTP/FTPS client it seems to redirect it to 2 random IP addresses that have nothing to do with my domain (I am guessing that this has something to do with CloudFlare’s proxy service).

I have ports 20:22 forwarded to my Synology NAS and I can connect to FTP using my Dynamic DNS service just fine. But if I actually try to use my domain name Total commander shows it trying to connect via 1 IP address and then another (Neither of which are associated with my domain) and then I receive error “Connect Call Failed”.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carl

Any hostnames associated with FTP/FTPS need to be :grey: DNS only. Cloudflares proxy supports HTTP and HTTPS traffic only (usually).

1 Like

Thank you.

When I try to create a DNS only CNAME with my NAS External IP Address I get an error:

"DNS Validation Error (Code 1004)…

Carl

Try creating an A record instead. CNAME records don’t contain IP addresses, they contain other DNS names.

Thanks. I was just in the process of testing that while I was waiting for a response.

I am up and running now.

Thanks again for your help.

Carl.

So I guess the FTPS connection is encrypted between the client and my NAS instead of using CloudFlare’s encryption? I have removed the FTP entry since I want all FTP traffic to be encrypted.

Carl.

You can use argo tunnel to expose that hostname without exposing your origin IP. Might be slightly more complicated, but same basic principles:

That sounds interesting. But I only have the 1 FTPs account in use & I don’t think my Synology NAS has the ability to install “Gitlab” For 1 thing it only has 3GB of RAM.

Carl.

More the… ‘here’s how you expose ssh’ behind access than actually installing gitlab which I thought might apply.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.