FTP - Error 530

At the risk of being redundant, allow me to start this topic.
I am a total novice at hosting issues, so please bear with me.

I have set up an account at Cloudflare for http://regularrocker.nl, even managed to set up the mail server.

However, I haven’t been able to access my FTP server using Filezilla anymore. I’ve poked around at my DNS A settings in my dashboard after identifying the proper IP address that connects me to my FTP-server. Proxy status is grey.
Filezilla is trying to connect to the server, it establishes a TLS-conenction, but then breaks off at Error 530 Login Authentication failed. I know that this means that the server does not accept my password, but that hasn’t changed! So I’m a bit at a loss here.

I got in touch with my hosting company who flatly pointed out to me that “regularrocker.nl is coupled via DNS to an external server. Hence, ftp does not direct to our server. Please ask for login credentials at the external service provider” (i.e. Cloudflare).

Looking forward to your reply.

This is not a cloudflare issue since you have a :grey: clouded DNS record and were using the IP directly.
And Clodflare is a HTTP proxy and does not provide FTP servers.

Assuming the record is ftp.regularrocker.nl, it points to a cloudflare IP. This will not work.
(Unless you’re are an Enterprise customer using Spectrum)

[email protected]:~$ nslookup ftp.regularrocker.nl
Server:		127.0.1.1
Address:	127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	ftp.regularrocker.nl
Address: 162.158.111.21

[email protected]:~$ ftp 
ftp> open
(to) 162.158.111.21
ftp: connect: Connection timed out
ftp> 

[email protected]:~$ whois 162.158.111.21 | grep NetN
NetName:        CLOUDFLARENET
2 Likes

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

The IP address that you are referring to is not the one I use in Filezilla. Thank you for confirming this. I’ve already deleted it from my DNS records, I used it for trial purposes.

The one that I am using to connect to the FTP-server in Filezilla is Schermafbeelding 2020-04-01 om 10.53.01. This is listed in my DNS records as “proxied”. Changing it to “unproxied”, however, does not give access to the FTP-server either.

I also changed the password to the FTP-server in my Hosting Control Panel, just to be sure that I am using the right one. No success, however.

Would it help if I share the outcome of https://ftptest.net/ here?

Or could you tell me what else I should change? I would appreciate it.

Is there anybody out there?

Hi @RegularRocker,

If you are connecting directly to your server IP and not through a hostname on your domain, it can’t be a Cloudflare issue. I would recommend you contact your web host if you are sure that is the correct IP given by them.

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.