Free service roundrobin setup

If I setup the ‘A’ records ‘Round robin’ way , for example mydomain.com points to
ip1
ip2
ip3
what happens if the server at ip2 dies? The name server will resolve ip1 and ip3 only, or the name server still keeps on pointing to the dead server at 1/3 of the time? In the free package does the name server monitor if the ip address is alive?

It will pre-test a connection to see if it works. If not, it will use another instead.

Initial testing on round-robin isn’t as “round-robin” as you’d expect. You’ll probably keep hitting the same origin IP address, but someone somewhere else may hit one of the other ones. It’s like once Cloudflare settles on one through that colocation, it’ll stick with it for a while.

However, it appears that this is only on paid plans, unless something has changed since the blog post:

Thanks for your reply. I see there is no guaranty that the loads are evenly distributed between the servers.
How intelligent is the algorithm? Is is possible that let’s say one server runs at 95% of its capacity and the oher two are idle?

It’s not the least bit intelligent, other than the failover bit. It sounds like what you’re really after is a Load Balancer.

1 Like

Yes I am looking for a load balancer at DNS server level. Most of the load balancers I think work by geo location I mean European clients are served from the European server, Americans from the America server etc.
In my case all over the world visitors would be served from the same room from a couple of servers. I’d like to balance the load between 3 servers evenly. What is the best way to do that?
Thanks

Geo-location is a separate feature on the Cloudflare Load Balancing service.

The Dev Docs do a good job of outlining your options:
https://developers.cloudflare.com/load-balancing/

Yes, that is a great service but not free. In the free service, if two ip addresses are entered into the ‘A’ records, the traffic is directed to both ip addresses. In case if one of the two servers die, will that ip disabled or removed from the que? A previous comments suggets yes, but this article on Round Robin says just tthe opposite:
https://www.cloudflare.com/en-ca/learning/dns/glossary/round-robin-dns

Are there any further articles available?

That glossary article is for standard Round Robin, and doesn’t include the Health Checks that Paid Plans use to determine if an IP address should be in the rotation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.