Forward sub-domain to cloudflare's nameservers

Hi, soon I’m registering a domain from a ccTLD that charges for nameserver changes, so I would much rather forward a sub-domain from another domain I have to Cloudflare’s nameservers so I can easily change nameserver addresses if I ever need to.
I was hoping someone that had some experience doing something like this in the past could verify this is possible, or could give me a reason why it won’t work?

The only thing I’m worried about is, would I set it as an A address, or a nameserver, and can I just look up the IP of Cloudflare’s nameservers and use that, because it requires an IP not a name address.
I plan on testing when I have more time and will report back if no one has responded with their results, just hoping to get any input

You can’t add a sub domain here. To make use of Cloudflare you need to change the nameservers for your entire domain.

:wave: @leetcodes,

You can sign up for a business plan and then use Cloudflare in a CNAME setup. No need to change your nameservers!

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200168706-How-do-I-do-CNAME-setup-

-OG

sorry, you misunderstood, I want to keep one of my domain’s nameservers outside of Cloudflare and then point a few sub-domains to the nameservers that Cloudflare gives me, so that I can easily change nameservers by pointing the subdomains to different nameservers when needed
the reason for doing this, is .VI ccTLD charges $10 fee to make changes to nameservers or contact information.

e.g. use namecheap’s provided free DNS to setup 2 sub-domains ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com, then point these to elsa.Cloudflare.com and nick.Cloudflare.com, then assign myexample.net’s nameservers to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com to point it to Cloudflare

I’m hoping to do something like this, with nameserver records:
myexample.net -> ns1.example.com -> elsa.Cloudflare.com

but I’m not sure if it’s possible with nameservers, because I believe they are different DNS records than A record, or if Cloudflare’s nameserver IP addresses are static, which would cause problems because it’s not possible to point a domain to another name address

That’s pretty much what custom nameservers are (there’s also a bit more you need to do such as glue records otherwise things get a bit cyclic… how does one resolve ns1.example.com when the example.com lookups are made on ns1.example.com etc.).

Available on Business and Enterprise plans only, I believe.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.