Final step in Pages custom domain setup

A few days ago, I set up Cloudflare Pages with a custom domain. I own the domain through Namecheap and so I went through the custom domain setup in the Pages dashboard where my DNS records were set up automatically. After I was done, I waited a couple of days but my custom domain was still not working. I added a CNAME to point to my page’s pages.dev domain and waited a few days and it still wasn’t working. Lastly, I happened to visit the custom domain section in the Pages dashboard and I did not see my custom domain so I added it again which took me to another page to “finish” my set up for that custom domain where it told me it would add the same CNAME record, which I already had, to my DNS records. Once I did this, my site was working on that custom domain. What was this last step that was missing? I noticed this note in the “getting started” guide:

" To ensure a custom domain is added successfully, you must go through the Adding a custom domain process described above. Manually adding a custom CNAME record pointing to your Cloudflare Pages site - without first associating the domain (or subdomains) in the Cloudflare Pages dashboard - will result in your domain failing to resolve at the CNAME record address, and display a 522 error."

Did this last step associate my Page with the custom domain?

If so, imho it would be better for user experience to document/mention this last step in a more explicit way as the documentation is a bit abstract.

I’m trying to learn more about Cloudflare products and DNS in general so any clarification about this last step would be greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.