External CName to Cloudflare CName

Here is the overview of what I am trying to do:
one.domain1(dot)com (cname/outside Cloudflare) => two.domain2(dot)com (A record, Cloudflare) => EC2

I get error 1001. The one.domain1(dot)com DNS has the cname pointing to two.domain2(dot)com and I can confirm two.domain2(dot)com correctly resolves to EC2 via A record.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Cloudflare does not know anything about one.domain1.com, so this is expected behaviour.

You have a few options.

1. Add domain1.com to your account.
  2. Set two.domain2.com to be :grey:, making Cloudflare DNS only for that hostname,
  3. Add one.domain1.com to your domain2.com zone using SSL for SaaS.
2 Likes

Error 1001: DNS resolution error

Common causes

• A web request was sent to a Cloudflare IP address for a non-existent Cloudflare domain.
  • An external domain that is not on using Cloudflare has a CNAME record to a domain active on Cloudflare
  • The target of the DNS CNAME record does not resolve.
  • A CNAME record in your Cloudflare DNS app requires resolution via a DNS provider that is currently offline.
  • Always Online is enabled for a Custom Hostname (SSL for SaaS) domain.

Resolution

A non-Cloudflare domain cannot CNAME to a Cloudflare domain unless the non-Cloudflare domain is added to a Cloudflare account.

Attempting to directly access DNS records used for Cloudflare CNAME setups also causes error 1001 (For example: www.example.com.cdn.cloudflare.net ).

Disable Always Online if using Custom Hostnames (SSL for SaaS).

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.