Evaluating Cloudflare free first and then will look at Pro, but a few things I don't understand

OK, I set up a free account with Cloudflare a couple weeks ago (Cloudflare nameserversz), and am in evaluation mode to see about the paid features. But here are several things that baffle me:

i) I am trying to set up Domain Key Identified Mail (DKIM) and Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for my primary domain on my host. But I keep getting error in my web host: "Because this is not an authoritative nameserver for the domain “XYZ”, the current or suggested records will not reflect your changes. " How do I set these up in CloudFlare then?

ii) Under DNS, the MX record for my domain is showing that record exposes the IP for that I proxied behind CloudFlare. I have NO idea how I am supposed to fix this???

iii) Under Critical Loading Times, they are very fast for Desktop and very slow for Mobile (3G). Is this something I am supposed to be able to fix/remedy using CloudFlare functionality?

iv) Under Page Rules, it says " Page Rules let you control which Cloudflare settings trigger on a given URL. Only one Page Rule will trigger per URL, so it is helpful if you sort Page Rules in priority order, and make your URL patterns as specific as possible"

I am not quite sure what is the benefit of doing this? When someone finds or navigates to a page, what does this do?

1. Some hosts expect to be the authoritative name servers for a domain. Not a big deal. What matters is that Cloudflare has the proper DKIM and SPF records. You can test them at dmarcian.com (EDIT: To clarify, is your host providing a valid DKIM record you can copy over to Cloudflare?)
  2. Exposed IP address is normal if you host email on the same server as your website. Email IP addresses need to be public to receive email.
  3. Cloudflare’s speed test is not very descriptive. I suggest you use more thorough speed tests like Pagespeed Insights and GTMetrix.
  4. Page rules just let you assign different Cloudflare features for specific resources. You can generally leave this alone unless one part of your site needs different settings than another.

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.