Error with DNS name resolution ERR_UNEXPECTED_PROXY_AUTH

I have a VPS with Ubuntu 20.04 and a bare, default Apache install. Website works great from IP address. I pointed my domain name to it with Cloudflare. When trying to reach the site by domain name, I get the error “ERR_UNEXPECTED_PROXY_AUTH” from my browser. Tried multiple browsers, same result. I am not running any proxies or even any firewall (yet).

VPS support is blaming Cloudflare/my DNS setup. I am at a loss here. Any ideas would be helpful. Google searches have proven unproductive.

May I ask what kind of a Website is it? Some CMS or static one?

Clean and fresh install?

It’s actually just one HTML page for testing at the moment. There is no content other than a welcome message.

Yes, this is a clean and fresh install of Apache.

Hi there,

Since you currently have the A record set as DNS only, the issue can’t possibly be at Cloudflare but at the host.

Make sure the reverse proxy at the VPS is correctly set to accept connections for the domain name and there is not any allow/disallow IP list in place that might be causing the error.
If you can’t solve it on your own, contact the VPS support and ask them to check your A record, so they can see it’s resolving directly to the VPS.

Take care.

1 Like

Thank you for the response. That is what I was thinking as well, but since the VPS support was blaming Cloudflare, I had to double check. They have been avoiding my questions as to whether or not they are proxying or otherwise modifying my traffic. I will follow up with them. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.