Error Initializing Universal Edge Certificate

This is the first site I’ve encountered this error with.

Status: Initializing (error)

“Internal error with Certificate Authority, please check later”

CA: Let’s Encrypt

I did check back a few hours later and it went from Initializing (Blue) to the same error.

Has anyone seen this before, is there something I can do to resolve it?

Hi there,

Sorry for the issues you facing.

I suspect this may be related to a rate-limit with Lets-Encrypt - Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt - the best I can advise here is to try disable Universal SSL and enable it again to try restart the order.

If you’re still having an issue, if you are able to share the domain name, I’m happy to take a look on the backend.

regards,

Hi Damian,

It sounds like I was on the right track then. I tried disabling Universal SSL a couple of times and then it was finally able to activate the certificate.

Regards,
Mike

Glad to hear you were able to figure this out!

Definitely will look at how we can make this clearer in our dashboard/documentation.

Hello, I am having the same issue so as this topic is quite fresh let me jump in. No matter how many times I disabled/re-enabled Universal SSL I cannot make it work. Can you please let me know if there is any solution? How many times you had to disable? Did you make short or long breaks before re-enabling?

What is your domain? While sometimes Universal SSL gets “stuck”, most often it is due to other reasons which prevent the domain being added to Cloudflare.

Domain: vsid.online
Let me add one more note - backup certificate was issued with no problem. Of course not deployed. So I still end up with: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

BTW - for main domain I can use http. But when i go for subdomain which is a tunel - it forces https, thus I cannot avoid this error. For testing purposes I wanted to try http, but it seems it is not possible when using tunnel, right?

Hello, I have a similar issue.

I am trying to setup an SSH connection through Cloudflare tunnel to my machine but after I set it up using Applications and my Tunnel I get:
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
When connecting through browser.

I’ve tried to resolve this issue buy disabling Universal SSL and Enabling it back again but everytime the certificate is showing an error “Initializing (Error)”

This also affected my other endpoints that previously worked well, I have website served through tunnel and after the changes with Universal SSL they also are showing ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH now.

Well, looks like the solution is just to try to disable/enable multiple times. I think I did it like 10 times before it finally worked. In short

  • disable universal ssl
  • refresh the page to see if certificate dissapeared
  • if dissapeared - re-enable universal ssl
  • refresh the page and wait (it took some time to initialize, at first I still saw the error message) - if after 15min it still fails - repeat procedure.

Now I got it working.

Additionally to reply my previous question - the fact that I was not able to keep just HTTP was caused by setting up additional application authentication for security purposes (google auth). Then you need to keep SSL so the moment you create app with same domain - you will not be able to use HTTP and thus if there is no certificate, you cannot even access cloudflare authentication page.

Hello!

I have the same problem. I did like @krzysiekkowalczuk said, but it doesn’t help :frowning:
I already generated certificate on my server, but anyway I can’t use it, because certificate on cloudflare won’t work.

Could anyone help me?

Depends on how many times you tried to disable/enable. It looks like this helped me and mikeaaroncarter. But its all about luck… Normally I would suggest to check logs but Cloudflare does not tell us to much about the exact nature of the problem. Without such information Im afraid you wont get any better answer then… try… again… and again…

Good morning! I believe it took 2 to 3 cycles to disable and enable Universal SSL before it finally worked. What seemed to help was waiting more time between cycles, like 5 to 10 min, instead of turning it back on right away.

1 Like

Mismo problema *.gabrimauro.com.ar, gabrimauro.com.ar

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.