Error 523 Origin is unreachable for Cloudflare Pages

I have a free plan. I have no problem being last on the list. My problems are

1.) I have been waiting for months.
2.) Their instructions do not address situations in which they are the hosting provider.
3.) I have absolutely no idea what the core issue is. The error message is pretty vague.
4.) I have been told to raise the issue on Cloudflare Community, which I have done, only to receive no resolution whatsoever.

1 Like

Any company that offers a service, free or otherwise, has a duty to investigate failures on their side. Moreover, I am not the only person to raise this issue.

As an aside: Why would I upgrade my service when people on the free plan have to wait a year for a critical outage (website down)? At the next higher level, it seems likely I would still be ignored or have to wait an inordinately long time for an answer because there would always be someone at a higher tier. Even at the higher tier, they would prioritize their large customers.

It looks like this thread has gone a little off topic. It sounds like the following is the setup:

• You have a domain which is active on Cloudflare.
  • You have deployed a site using Cloudflare Pages.
  • You have added a custom hostname to that Pages project.
  • When you visit the custom hostname you get a 523 error.

If you visit the DNS tab for the domain in question, what does it say the Cloudflare Nameservers should be?

Can you share the domain name, and the pages.dev subdomain your project is deployed to?

Also on the DNS tab, does the CNAME for the custom domain match the correct paged.dev subdomain? Is it :grey: or :orange:?

3 Likes

This almost feels like a third party integration is intercepting the :orange: Proxied connections.

If I had this problem, I’d try setting Pages to use a custom SUBdomain that hopefully won’t get intercepted, or a different domain. Yeah, different domain doesn’t help, but it does narrow things down.

Off topic? I am not just talking about the problem at hand, but my experience using Cloudflare. Perhaps the Community is not interested? If so, that’s fine.

Cloudflare regularly seeks feedback from customers so I took the time to provide it here as this ticket offers context for my negative impression thus far.

Regarding Cloudflare’s instructions

Cloudflare Nameservers

To use Cloudflare, ensure your authoritative DNS servers, or nameservers have been changed. These are your assigned Cloudflare nameservers.

Regarding the Proxy status

• The CNAME was setup via the Custom Domain tool on Cloudflare Pages

• The proxy status is orange, as in “:orange: Proxied connections”

OK. If you add a different custom domain (within the same zone), does it change anything?

Have you previously used any third party services on the “broken” hostname, such as Shopify. Some SaaS providers use Cloudflare, but they do not correctly disconnect their services from your domain when you disable their service.

I am trying to digest what you are saying. I have not used Shopify, but I have used Webflow in the recent past. I can’t imagine Webflow impacting the resolution. But I am open to considering anything at this point.

I am not sure what you mean when you say (within the same zone)? Is there a link to a tutorial on Cloudflare, by any chance?

If the broken hostname is shop.example.com, can you add a custom domain to the Pages project for something liketesting.example.com (the example.com does not change)

I think Webflow is not a Cloudflare user. @sdayman has asked CF to check if there is some integration stuck somewhere.

The requests are getting to Cloudflare, and your NS are on the correct place, so this is unlikely to be DNS, Registry or Registrar related.

1 Like

Steps taken

1. Navigate to Cloudflare → Cloudflare Pages → My Domain → Custom Domains → Set up a Custom Domain
  2. Entered new subdomain of shop.example.eu
  3. Receive a message

Confirm new DNS record

Cloudflare will add these DNS records to activate shop.example.eu for your project’s site:

Type Name Content TTL
CNAME shop https-example.pages.dev Auto

Once updated, visitors will be able to access your site by visiting https://shop.example.eu .

1. I select “Activate Domain”
  2. Result for shop.example.eu

Inactive (Error)

1. I navigate to https://shop.example.eu. The result

Error 523
Origin is unreachable

If you’re the owner of this website:

Check your DNS Settings. A 523 error means that Cloudflare could not reach your host web server. The most common cause is that your DNS settings are incorrect. Please contact your hosting provider to confirm your origin IP and then make sure the correct IP is listed for your A record in your Cloudflare DNS Settings page.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.