Error 523 Origin is unreachable. Cloudflare Pages & Freenom

My results from Online nslookup — Find DNS records

SOA data Revalidate in
Start of authority dion.ns.cloudflare.com.

Email [email protected]cloudflare.com
Serial 2038643308
Refresh 2h 46m 40s
Retry 40m
Expire 168h
Negative cache TTL 1h

My results from MX Toolbox DNS Check

SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid
dion.ns.cloudflare.com reported Serial 2038643308 : Serial year was 2038 which is in the future.

SOA Expire Value out of recommended range
dion.ns.cloudflare.com reported Expire 604800 : Expire is recommended to be between 1209600 and 2419200.

TimeStamp :
LookupServer 559ms

Depth : 1
ServerName : v2n0.nic.media
ServerIP : 65.22.23.3
Authoritative : NON-AUTH
ElapsedTime : 8 ms
Result : Received 2 Referrals , rcode=NO_ERROR
Question :
Answers : example.com 3600 IN NS gwen.ns.cloudflare.com,example.com. 3600 IN NS dion.ns.cloudflare.com,

TimeStamp :
Depth : 2
ServerName : gwen.ns.cloudflare.com
ServerIP : 108.162.192.160
Authoritative : AUTH
ElapsedTime : 2 ms
Result : Received 2 Answers , rcode=NO_ERROR
Question :
Answers : example.com. 86400 IN NS dion.ns.cloudflare.com,example.com. 86400 IN NS gwen.ns.cloudflare.com,

Per MX Toolbox

Your DNS hosting provider is “Cloudflare”

Web hosting is a service that allows organizations and individuals to post a website or web page onto the Internet. A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed in the Internet. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers. When Internet users want to view your website, all they need to do is type your website address or domain into their browser. Their computer will then connect to your server and your webpages will be delivered to them through the browser.

Per Cloudflare - Error 1016 - Origin DNS error

You’ve requested a page on a website (example.com) that is on the Cloudflare network.

If you are using Cloudflare Pages then it actually is

1 Like

Yes but only if it’s a Cloudflare page or worker!

1 Like

Cloudflare Pages is a JAMstack platform for frontend developers to collaborate and deploy websites.

1 Like

Ok, I wasn’t paying attention to the title of the post that’s why I got confused!

2 Likes

As mentioned 5 days ago

new2cloudflare

5d

Per Hosting Checker, Cloudflare hosts my site. I am using Cloudflare pages.

1 Like

As mentioned in the first post

new2cloudflare

5d

I have been waiting for around six months for Cloudflare Support to resolve this issue.

A 523 error means that Cloudflare could not reach your host web server.

My issue is that I am receiving a 523 errror.

Your post essentially tells me to talk to my “hosting provider”.

1.) As mentioned previously, Cloudflare is my hosting provider. I have opened numerous tickets over the past six months and nothing has been done about it.

2.) Walshy pointed out that I needed to contact my hosting provider five days ago

Walshy Regular

5d

Who hosts your website? You need to contact them.

“Priority is given to Enterprise, Business and Pro customers, in that order.” What type of plan do you have?

I have a free plan. I have no problem being last on the list. My problems are

1.) I have been waiting for months.
2.) Their instructions do not address situations in which they are the hosting provider.
3.) I have absolutely no idea what the core issue is. The error message is pretty vague.
4.) I have been told to raise the issue on Cloudflare Community, which I have done, only to receive no resolution whatsoever.

1 Like

Any company that offers a service, free or otherwise, has a duty to investigate failures on their side. Moreover, I am not the only person to raise this issue.

As an aside: Why would I upgrade my service when people on the free plan have to wait a year for a critical outage (website down)? At the next higher level, it seems likely I would still be ignored or have to wait an inordinately long time for an answer because there would always be someone at a higher tier. Even at the higher tier, they would prioritize their large customers.

It looks like this thread has gone a little off topic. It sounds like the following is the setup:

• You have a domain which is active on Cloudflare.
  • You have deployed a site using Cloudflare Pages.
  • You have added a custom hostname to that Pages project.
  • When you visit the custom hostname you get a 523 error.

If you visit the DNS tab for the domain in question, what does it say the Cloudflare Nameservers should be?

Can you share the domain name, and the pages.dev subdomain your project is deployed to?

Also on the DNS tab, does the CNAME for the custom domain match the correct paged.dev subdomain? Is it :grey: or :orange:?

3 Likes

This almost feels like a third party integration is intercepting the :orange: Proxied connections.

If I had this problem, I’d try setting Pages to use a custom SUBdomain that hopefully won’t get intercepted, or a different domain. Yeah, different domain doesn’t help, but it does narrow things down.

@sdayman,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have 10+ other domains working with no problem. Google is the registrar. The product is Cloudflare Pages.

I have one domain that is not working. Freenom is the registrar. The Cloudflare product is Cloudflare Pages.

All domains use Cloudflare servers.

(FYI, I also have one subdomain that is not working. Google is the registrar. The Cloudflare product is Cloudflare Workers).

Ultimately, if I can not see the core problem using standard tools such as nslookup, dig, ping, trace, etc, then the resolution of this issue lies with Cloudflare. I think Cloudflare’s engineers just need to set aside time to review the information I have sent them in the tickets I have opened to date. (Or not, but at least have the decency to let me know.) They instructed me to post on this Community forum. It is clear, however, that the problem is internal to Cloudflare. At some point, one just has to go to another provider. My site was resolving on Freenom. I used Cloudflare because I wanted all of my sites to go through one host, as opposed to using Google and Freenom’s nameservers.

Off topic? I am not just talking about the problem at hand, but my experience using Cloudflare. Perhaps the Community is not interested? If so, that’s fine.

Cloudflare regularly seeks feedback from customers so I took the time to provide it here as this ticket offers context for my negative impression thus far.

Regarding Cloudflare’s instructions

Cloudflare Nameservers

To use Cloudflare, ensure your authoritative DNS servers, or nameservers have been changed. These are your assigned Cloudflare nameservers.

Regarding the Proxy status

• The CNAME was setup via the Custom Domain tool on Cloudflare Pages

• The proxy status is orange, as in “:orange: Proxied connections”