Error 520 Web server is returning an unknown error - wordpress

I’ve got a problem with my wordpress website. When I save a property the changes take place but I get a Error 520 Ray ID: 5d51cb14d9600853

Web server is returning an unknown error

Or Error 502 RAY ID 5d51f94d5ed1e3f4
Bad gateway

This seems to happen every time.
I’ve since checked with my hosting provider wpengine who after investigating their side say it’s an issue with Cloudflare and to ask for support here.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hi @mrtwanstall,

A 520 error occurs when the connection started on the origin web server, but that the request was not completed. The most common reason why this would occur is that either a program, cron job, or resource is taking up more resources than it should causing the server not to be able to respond to all requests properly.

Review the Quick Fix Ideas in this Community Tip for troubleshooting suggestions.

1 Like

The same, I’m sure it’s definitely cloudflare’s problem, because it’s not the first time it’s happened. It happened on August 31, and the official sent an email to explain it. Now it’s just coming up again.

This time seems to be more serious, with 520, 522, and 526 error codes all happened.

Have you gone through all the steps in the #CommunityTip that I linked to and got Cloudflare’s IP addresses allowed on your server?

Are you seeing these errors from different locations, or just via one datacenter?

Sometimes it is an issue that is not caused by your server/provider, the issue you referred to in August was caused by a 3rd party transit provider. However, most commonly, they are caused by server issues, hence the troubleshooting advice provided if Cloudflare are not reporting any issues.

Thanks for your replies I really appreciate it. So I’ve now copied the site to staging to test this out on a different domain than the one associated with Cloud flare domain and the issue goes away. So it does look like the issue is with cloudflare. What can I do?
Thank you.

Follow the steps in the tip I linked to and make sure you have Cloudflare’s IPs allowed. Once you have checked all the other steps, follow step 6 to contact support with the details listed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.