Error 520 and Error 525 pages from Cloudflare appear all of a sudden on some URLs since switching to Cloudflare

After a huge amount of headache, we eventually managed to get Cloudflare to work with our website a few months ago. However, on some links, it is showing the following error messages:

An example of a link which shows these is https://feeds.azam.info/~r/azam/~3/hsM3arZT2g0/

It affects RSS links via https://feeds.azam.info/ . Other URLs are fine.

When we do refresh on the URLs showing these errors, it rotates between these two error messages (525 and 520).

According to Cloudflare’s Diagnostic tool at https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/diagnostic-center/?url=azam.info everything seems to have been set-up fine on this domain name.

We’ve read the instructions related to these error messages, but they don’t seem to help.

When we posted about this problem in December on these forums, we were advised to try to switch off Cloudflare to see what that does. We’ve tried to switch Cloudflare fully on and fully off, as well as countless configurations within Cloudflare, but nothing we do has any impact on the URLs with these error messages.

What can we do please?

Hi there,

The 525 SSL Handshake error occurs if your web server does not have a certificate installed that matches your SSL security level.

The 520 Unknown Error occurs, when your web server closed the connection early, sent a header that was way too long, or similar issues. To troubleshoot this issue, you’d need to contact our support, so we can troubleshoot this directly against your origin.

Thank you for your reply.

" The 525 SSL Handshake error occurs if your web server does not have a certificate installed that matches your SSL security level."

I’ve contacted our webhost and they’ve replied as follows:

We have verified and the domain “feeds.azam.info” has a valid SSL certificate installed on it at CLoudfare. We can see that there is an auto SSL installed at our end, can you ask CloudFlare if they want us to delete Auto SSL from our server?

Could the fact that our webhost has also installed SSL on their end be causing the problems? As they’ve suggested, should they delete their SSL?

Thank you.

I’ve contacted Cloudflare support many times, but they either don’t respond at all or they just send links to your FAQ. I’ve spent hours studying your FAQ.

Therefore if you could kindly assist here I’d be extremely grateful.

You definitely need both SSL certificates, so keep the one at your host.

Since I don’t have access to your origin server info, I can only suggest that you edit your ‘feeds’ DNS record to be :grey: DNS Only, then wait five minutes for it to propagate. And then see if it load successfully with HTTPS.

I’ve contacted Cloudflare support many times, but they either don’t respond at all or they just send links to your FAQ. I’ve spent hours studying your FAQ.

Thanks for your feedback. I can confirm that we’re answering to all tickets that are submitted to us. If for some reasons you didn’t get a reply even after multiple days, just reply to your ticket and someone will get back to you. Also, if the help articles don’t help, just let us know in your ticket and we’ll explain this further to you or troubleshoot this issue further.

If you got a community thread and a ticket is required, you can also post it and @tklein me if you don’t get any answer and I’ll take a look as soon as I see it.

I apologise for the confusion.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.