Error 1016 - nameservers got me confused

Can’t include links. I guess you can see what I am trying to work on somehow.

I am very new to all of this. you were recommended by my host because they don’t allow letsencrypt. I’ve been trying wordpress plugins for free ssl for a short while and hitting brick walls that I can’t pass. Again, I am very new to this.

Setup asked me to change nameservers to yours so I did and now the site gives the 1016 error and I realise that your setup didn’t take the existing nameservers and do anything with them. So I guess the domain is pointing to you, but you aren’t pointing anywhere.

I am stuck there though and don’t know what to do to fix the broken chain. Not a fan of cname TXT etc etc as I dont know what it all means.

Error 1016 basically means Cloudflare cannot resolve the DNS record to find your origin. So you need to make sure that you know what IP address or hostname to put in your DNS (ask your hosting provider) and then ensure that there is a matching DNS record in the Cloudflare dashboard for that:

https://developers.cloudflare.com/dns/manage-dns-records/how-to/create-dns-records/

I spoke with hosting and after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, it is now working. I have successful SSL site loading.

But I have to say that was a lot more complicated than it should have been. To add an A record with name : @ (for root) and ip.

Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.