Error 1014 CNAME Cross-User Banned (unable to add CNAME records)

When I add a subdomain I get an Error 1014 CNAME Cross-User Banned. And when I check the DNS Lookup I am seeing A, AAAA and NS records for the sub domain that does not match my main domain or is in the DNS section except for the CNAME record I added.

So now I am unable to use any new CNAME records. The existing ones work fine.

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

This explains the error you are seeing and offers suggestions that may fix it.

Thanks for this. So it seems an app is running in the background and I have no access to remove it or its connection to my domain.

I do not want to use Cloudflare for SaaS.

Would it be best to just remove my domain from Cloudflare to solve the issue? My hiccup is maybe that won’t solve the problem.

Can you explain in greater detail what you mean by that? It does not make any sense in the context of a 1014 error.

In the situation you describe, you wouldn’t be who needs to use Cloudflare for SaaS. The party that operates the canonical name you are directing your alias toward would need to be using Cloudflare for SaaS.

Can you share the actual names that you are trying to use that CNAME so the Community can offer a better answer?

Blockquote Can you explain in greater detail what you mean by that? It does not make any sense in the context of a 1014 error.

So I had a worker I created to connect with Notion when I created a portal for clients to see the details of the project. I am no longer doing it that way and deleted that worker route or bundle (whatever it is revered to as)

Blockquote Can you share the actual names that you are trying to use that CNAME so the Community can offer a better answer?

I now just want to redirect the CNAME to the new tool I want to use for my clients but whenever I add the record the Error 1014 comes up now. The system I am trying to connect the host “studio” to just says Domain restricted as the error message. My root domain is yixar[dot]io

I really suspect it is because the Worker I had setup two years ago was connect to the portal[dot]yixar[dot]io/* but I do not see why it would be an issue for other sub hosts too. And others like a[dot]yixar[dot]io works fine just anything I try to add to the Membership section.

The hostname clientportal.ludicrous.cloud. is in a different Cloudflare account than your domain. This means that you cannot use it in a CNAME in your account without first configuring your custom hostname on the service you are attempting to point it to.

I have no idea who ludicrous.cloud is and my initial web search results were not terribly fruitful, returning mostly pages from Go High Level, but lacking any obvious relevance in the visible page summaries.

You would likely benefit by consulting any documentation provided by the operators of clientportal.ludicrous.cloud concerning their required procedure for setting a custom hostname. Once you have configured that with them, your 1014 error should clear.

1 Like

Thanks much I will look into it with my supplier. And if they have it on another Cloudflare they can remove it. If not I just remove the domain from Cloudflare all together after all I own the domain and if it is on another Cloudflare account then the best way to remove it is to not have it on Cloudflare at all…(my wishful thinking)

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.