Error 1001 DNS when doing a CNAME from Digital Ocean to a CNAME in Cloudflare

I have a CNAME in Cloudflare called meet(meet. ourdomain. net) When I open the url in the browser it works well, but when I try to call the meet CNAME(meet. ourdomain .net) from other CNAME in Digital Ocean (meet. clientdomain. com) that is “in an alias of meet. ourdomain. net” the redirect does not work, I get an 1001 DNS error…

Why if we open the (meet.ourdomain.net) in browser it works, but when redirecting from (meet.clientdomain.net) doesn’t ?

What we can do to make this to work?

We just want to our clients to have the possibility to set a CNAME in their domain to redirect to our domain, how can we do that?

Thank you.

Error 1001: DNS configuration error should be the error you are getting!

This error occurs when a web request was sent to a Cloudflare IP address for a non-existent Cloudflare domain.

This is usually caused by a misconfiguration in your DNS records! So check your DNS records for any misconfiguration. If that doesn’t help visit https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029779472-Troubleshooting-Cloudflare-1XXX-errors

Also, what is the domain?

Yes, this is the error:

Error 1001

DNS resolution error

What happened?

You’ve requested a page on a website (meet.liveuniversity.com) that is on the Cloudflare network. Cloudflare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (meet.liveuniversity.com). There are two potential causes of this:

• Most likely: if the owner just signed up for Cloudflare it can take a few minutes for the website’s information to be distributed to our global network.
  • Less likely: something is wrong with this site’s configuration. Usually this happens when accounts have been signed up with a partner organization (e.g., a hosting provider) and the provider’s DNS fails.

The thing is, if i open in the browser with the url(https://meet.brunchlive.net/) wich is a CNAME for the main site it works, but when i try to open the (meet.liveuniversity.com) that is a CNAME for (meet.brunchlive.net) it does not work, what’s the diffrence, why one works and the other dont if they are opening the same thing?

The only difference is, the liveuniversity CNAME to Brunchlive is at DigitalOcean…

The error:

Regarding a CNAME setup, below article could also help a bit:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020348832-Understanding-a-CNAME-Setup

I get DNS_PROBE_FINSHED_NXDOMAIN (DNS probe finished, domain records not found)

This sounds like you are providing an application to your clients, and they want a custom domain name.

That would require Cloudflare for SAAS.

I dont think it is SaaS, because i dont want to manage my clients Domains or anything, i just have to allow my client to user their platform no matter wich one, to redirect to mine but using their domain, in their platform…

The only problem is CloudFlare blocking their redirects to my website…

liveuniversity.com(A) = their domain
brunchlive.net(A) = my domain

This is working:
meet.brunchlive(CNAME) => brunchlive(A)

This is not working:
meet.liveunivesity(CNAME) => meet.brunchlive(CNAME) => brunchlive(A)

How its Done:
[DigitalOcean]
meet.liveunivesity(CNAME) => meet.brunchlive(CNAME)

[CloudFlare]
meet.brunchlive(CNAME) => brunchlive(A)

I think you are getting a HTTP redirect mixed up with a DNS CNAME.

Cloudflare will only respond to HTTP requests where they are configured with the relevant hostname.

With a redirect, you need a webserver somewhere that accepts the initial HTTP request, and issues a HTTP 30x response. You or your client need to have a webserver that accepts requests for liveuniversity.com. This cannot happen on your Cloudflare account (without SaaS), as you don’t have that domain on your account.

With a CNAME, the HTTP request coming to Cloudflare has a Host header that says liveuniversity.com, which Cloudflare know nothing about at best, and at worst you will be in an Orange on Orange situation, which is not normally allowed.

If you want to allow custom domains, you have to manage the application behind those custom domains. That is SaaS.

2 Likes