ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED - Changed nameservers only

I used Cloudflare for like a minute. I changed DNS (Google domains) to CFs nameservers and quickly found I was unable to connect. I gave it a few minutes, then realized I needed to reverse course because I have other priorities on this server. No exaggeration - the whole switch / revert process took place inside of an hour.

Other similar topics I’ve tried seem to involve extra Cloudflare products or instruct to check DNS. I’ve verified I’m back on Google’s nameservers as I write this.

So I switched the DNS back to Google’s nameservers and removed the domain from Cloudflare. After like 3 hours, I’m still seeing ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED (In Vivaldi), and Firefox / FF Private browsing.

The site was accessible immediately before. This is a bare CentOS server on DigitalOcean. SSL was never set up.

I’ve checked Apache logs and config, and found nothing unusual, restarted the server anyway
Cleared cookies on both browsers
Tried from two separate devices

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

Kindly, edit your post by clicking on the pencil :pencil2: icon and remove the IP address of your origin host/server due to the privacy concern and publicly posting on this forums.

Furthermore, the domain name isn’t using Cloudflare nameservers anymore, therefore isn’t working over a secured HTTPS connection neither before moving to Cloudflare as far as I checked? :thinking:

If you recently changed your domain nameservers, regular DNS propagation time usually takes up to 24-48 hours to complete.

May I ask have you tried using a different Web browser, or tried clearing your Web browser cache?
How about using a Private window (Incognito mode) or a VPN connection if possible?
Is it the same behaviour on your mobile phone (4G LTE, mobile data, cellular)?

2 Likes

Thank you. I deleted the post because I don’t see a pencil icon.

Yes, the server was working immediately before connecting to Cloudflare. This is a test server that I use for development. I was using it all day.

To your last paragraph: yes, I’ve done all of that. Just tried the VPN - same behavior.

Oh, I should mention that we usually access this server by IP address alone. That is not working either.

Are you still having issues @lisa.macneil? What is the domain?

Hi Cloonan,

Thank you for your reply! We’ve taken another approach, so the domain isn’t currently active. We’ll come back to Cloudflare once we’re all set up again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.