Emby using Cloudflare

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been using Emby with Cloudflare for a year or two, I’ve had no problem until I upgraded my USG 4 to the UDM Pro all the rules are the same its an exact copy and works fine. I updated my IP address in cloud flare and that should have been that however. If I turn on proxy I can no longer access the emby server via external IP or Domain name. But if I turn off proxy mode after a few mins the Domain name works fine. I used to have to put the ports on the end to access the server. But when I first set up Cloudflare for some reason I didnt need to. The emby ports are 8920 as I mentioned it was working perfectly fine and had been for a long time. I can’t find too much on online about my particulure set up. Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks
Mal

Cloudflare has never proxied Port 8920 (unless you’re using Spectrum on an Enterprise plan). That hostname would have to be set to :grey: DNS Only.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169156-Identifying-network-ports-compatible-with-Cloudflare-s-proxy

Did you set up CloudFlare access? (Used to be called argo tunnels)

Thanks everyone, I can’t explain how it was previously working on that port. I wasnt using enterprise either. I’ve now changed the port Emby uses to one of the support proxy ports and all is fine again. Thanks everyone.

I feel like I should mention the following paragraph from the Cloudflare Self-Serve Subscription Agreement:

2.8 Limitation on Serving Non-HTML Content
Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service.

You’ll be fine if you’re just proxying the dashboard for remote management, but streaming video is a bad idea - especially as Emby (and similar software like Plex or Jellyfin) is often used for high-quality Blu-Rays which are often tens of gigabytes per movie.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.