Emails when changing name servers

Hi everyone.
We bought our domain name with a company but all our DNS settings are on Yahoo servers.
I am fine with changing the nameservers at the hosting company but am worried that this will have an effect on the emails.

Do I need to change any other settings or does Cloudflare take care of these?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi @ian2,

You just need to check that all the DNS records at Cloudflare match those at your current DNS provider. Also, make sure that any mail related records are set to :grey: rather than :orange: and you shouldn’t have any issues!

Hi Domjh and thanks for the info.

In your reply you say to make sure that any mail related records are set to a grey cloud and not orange.How do I identify the mail related records?

The issue is complicated further.
The domain is hosted on one host but for some reason all the settings (cpanel etc) are with another hosting company. Form this 2nd hosting company the DNS settings are pointed to Yahoo.

Does that make sense to you. (I didn’t set all of this up btw)

Cheers
Ian

No problem!

With the MX records for your domain, do they point to a hostname on your domain, or one on your service provider. i.e. do they point to something.yourdomain.com or something like mail.yourwebhost.com which is unrelated to your domain?

From the sound of it, the MX record points to Yahoo, not anything related to your domain? If this is the case, you don’t need to worry about :orange:.

Why it would be that way, I’m not sure, but it kind of makes sense!

Wherever the DNS records are currently (I think the 2ns hosting company you referred to), just make sure that the ones there match he ones automatically copied over by Cloudflare :slight_smile: