Emails not working after changing name servers to Cloudflare's

After switching DNS to Cloudflare, emails aren’t working.

In Gmail, where I get the emails via POP3, I get ‘Connection Error’ message.

In wordpress when trying to send an email, it shows the following error:

the plugin WP Mail SMTP v2.7.0 logged this error during the last time it tried to send an email:

Mailer: Other SMTP SMTP connect() failed. Troubleshooting · PHPMailer/PHPMailer Wiki · GitHub

I have followed the steps here:

And it appears it’s set up correctly:

Hi @maxjamespeters,

What hostname is Gmail/WordPress trying to connect to, to retrieve the emails? It should be connecting to a :grey: hostname, not an :orange: one.

From your screenshot, this means it would need to connect to mail. unless you unproxy smtp. or pop3. and use those instead.

They are both trying to connect to just suttoncoldfieldtrees.co.uk as they were when email was working before turning on Cloudflare.

Should I change so they are connecting to mail.suttoncoldfieldtrees.co.uk or should I change the MX entry in Cloudflare to just suttoncoldfieldtrees.co.uk?

Thanks

Yes, that’s the best option.

When I change to that in Gmail, I get this error message:

(had to screen shot, cant post text, as too many links for a new user)

That’s something you will need to fix on your server or with your webhost. It is not currently serving a valid certificate for mail.suttoncoldfieldtrees.co.uk, but a generic one for your hosting instead. Now you’re connecting to a :grey: hostname, it’s connecting directly to your server.

OK,

I fond this help doc: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9967/2176/how-to-set-up-dns-records-for-namecheap-email-service-with-cloudflare-cpanel-and-private-email/#cp

So lets see how we get on.

Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.