I am extremely new to Cloudflare and DNS setup, so bear with me. I have also searched online for any duplicates and couldn’t find anything similar to mine. That and the answers were not very clear to me.
Cloudflare is preventing emails to be received to all Outlook accounts. I am a developer and have done multiple tests on my local and on Pantheon (where the site is hosted). No issues on my local since it’s not attached to Cloudflare. However, when I’m on Pantheon (Cloudflare is attached), the emails won’t arrive. I can see that they are being sent out via the Gmail SMTP that I have set up. But when I check my Outlook email account, I don’t have the email. Works fine when testing with a Gmail account.
I have tried multiple versions of MX records and I can’t seem to find the correct combination. Please, assist.