Email Routing - Security - Protect Origin IP address

Does Cloudflare Email Routing protect the origin server IP address? In other words, does Cloudflare Email Routing expose my server IP address?

For Context
I’m currently hosting email with Namecheap Private Email who use Bogon IP Address which do not expose my server. If I setup Cloudflare Email Routing, I will have to delete the Namecheap Private Email MX and TXT records. So I’m keen to know if the Cloudflare Email Routing MX and TXT records will similarly, hide my server IP address.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide!

Cloudflare’s email service won’t reveal your address, as any emails will go to Cloudflare which will simply forward them to the configured address.

Of course, if your server is sending any emails, that might still reveal your address, but Cloudflare won’t be involved here in the first place.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, Sandro.

An attacker may send an email to my server, to a non-existing address for example, then my server will reply as “undeliverable” which will then reveal my server IP address. So in this situation, Cloudflare’s email service is not involved and cannot provide protection, is this right?

Also, my server will send ecommerce transaction emails. So again, Cloudflare’s email service is not involved and cannot provide protection, is this right?

Thanks!

If it is a non-existent address, respectively one which was not configured, Cloudflare should reject it already. But yes, if you forward it to a server which then sends a bounce for whatever reason, its address will be revealed but Cloudflare won’t be involved here any more.

Cloudflare generally does not handle email, except for the forwarding service now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.