Email routing for sub domains

Hi,
I think email routing would be particularity useful for sub domains. But this is not possible as of now? As the root domain is fixed and not changeable.
Would like to request this as future feature request.
Thx!

18 Likes

Hi,

Technically it’s possible but the UI doesn’t allow it at the moment.
To work around that limitation you can create a new zone for the subdomain and setup Email Routing on it. Unfortunately, you’ll need to request access again.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update Sven! I’ll wait until the UI allows it, as I’d rather have all the subdomains in the same zone.

2 Likes

Hi @sven2,

sub domains haven’t been allowed as a zone for a while on Cloudflare I believe, I just tried it again to confirm and I got the same message:

Please ensure you are providing the root domain and not any subdomains (e.g., example.com, not subdomain.example.com)

Would be good to be able to have sub domain zones though, is there a way to do that? Am I missing something? Maybe through the API as opposed to the interface?

Thanks

3 Likes

It usually requires an Enterprise plan.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026440252-Understanding-Subdomain-Support

2 Likes

I came here, just to request this same feature.

• Thanks
2 Likes

Even then I’m not sure if the new Email Routing feature would be compatible with a subdomain-only setup.

1 Like

Technically it’s possible, because there are other providers. Just like the bi-directional routing. But I’m not mentioning any of those providers, because it seems that mentioning those is considered as spam.

1 Like

This is definitely needed without having to create a separate zone for each sub-domain. Especially given that:

It should be easier to make this available.

1 Like

+1, I would love to have email routing for subdomains

1 Like

+1, first thing I noticed that is missing.

1 Like

Yeah this would be amazing. Right now I use AnonAddy configured with a subdomain but I’d love to switch to Cloudflare.

1 Like

This is really needed. Great way to use forwarding without messing with root mail

1 Like

Good point. It’d be great for temporary addresses, or behind-the-scenes mailboxes that you don’t want to set up at a regular mail provider.

2 Likes

Yup. In addition to AnonAddy there’s also Firefox Relay.

Both of these services have their disadvantages (even if you pay).

I pay for ProtonMail and Zoho for each of my root domains (one personal and one business). I would prefer to keep it that way but have cloudflare handle subdomains :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would also allow for testing the service with a subdomain first before getting burned by beta bugs, spam filtering or incompatibilities with the provider of the destination address or other self-inflicted problems or unknown unknowns.

3 Likes

+1 for this

1 Like

+1 Thanks!

1 Like

i would love to be able to do this on a free plan. please implement. thanks!