Edge-Cache vs. Cache Reserve

So I have what perhaps is a dumb-question, although I’m not exactly sure. I just signed up with Cloudflare, and registered my my DNS Records. I’m in the process of transferring my domain (http://Torello.Directory) from GCP Domains to Cloudflare Domains right now as I type this question. Currently Google Domain’s still manages my Domains at the moment.

Anyway, recently I started receiving a number of larger bills from Google’s Storage-Buckets Billing-Department as my Java-Software Pages (javahtml.torello.directory) began receiving traffic from to people in China downloading my Software. I looked up Cloud-Flare on Google, and I noticed that the description said Cloudflare has a Web-Cache and would prevent “my original” from being visited. I thought, OK, well that’s what it says, I’ll try it.

Now, I wanted to know what Cloudflare actually means by the word “Cache”. I have noticed that when I visit one of my Java-Doc Generated Source-Documentation Pages, the page doesn’t seem to always be cached. It looks kind of random to me. I don’t update my primary page very often. For this reason, I have set my cache to “30 Days” on the Cache-Rule which I created for the Domain “https://javahtml.torello.directory”.

What I really wanted to know was the following: if I set up a Cache-Rule to make every single page on the domain “javahtml.torello.directory” to be eligible for the cache, why on earth would Cloudflare’s “Cache Reserve” service be of any use at all? I’m not getting something… I said at the start that this may seem like a “dumb question”, but I would like to hear the answer. When I configure a Cache-Rule for deciding which pages are eligible for caching, wouldn’t it stand to reason that all pages that are eligible will be cached for “30 days” as per my request?

Why and when would Cloudflare’s Edge-Cache decide to fail for a particular file. I don’t understand why having a second-cache between the original (which, for me, is GCP Storage-Buckets) and Cloudflare’s Edge-Cache would make any difference at all! Why are two caches better than one? If the first one fails, why would the second cache succeed - since they both have access to the exact same files and the exact same data? They have both been configured with the same rules!

I just signed up for “Cache Reserve” but if anybody can tell me what about the Cloudflare Edge-Cache makes the second-cache (Cache-Reserve) necessary, I would really like to hear it! It seems silly.

Sincerely,

Ralph Torello

This blog post explains it…

2 Likes

Thank-you, I needed that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.