E-Mails not deliverable or arrive very late after turning on Cloudflare

Hi everyone, I’ve recently changed my Wordpress hosting from Bluehost to Siteground. (My domain ownership still remains at Bluehost).

My website is caninelli.com

After I transferred my Wordpress website to Siteground, I turned on Cloudflare in Siteground to make my website faster.

After this point my e-mail system just broke down. I handle my emails through Gsuite. My email is [email protected]

I added Google’s MX records to Siteground, now I receive emails but they arrive like a few hours later. Or maybe even a day later.

I’ve checked all the troubleshooting pages of Cloudflare and it seems that I have to turn off the “orange cloud” and make it look “grey cloud” for the MX records in Cloudflare DNS Editor. However when I login to my Cloudflare account it says that my DNS is handled by Siteground. So I looked at Siteground’s DNS Zone editor. However I don’t see any grey-cloud option in Siteground.

Could someone please help ? I can’t use my emails.

Thank you very much beforehand,

This is the best checklist for email troubleshooting I’ve seen in any post on the site, Troubleshooting Email Delivery Issues when using Cloudflare.

2 Likes

Dear Cloonan, thank you for your reply. I read through that article. However, as you can see in the attached screenshot, it says my DNS Zone File is managed by Siteground.com. Therefore I can not play around with the “grey cloud” and “orange cloud” options, since Siteground’s DNS Zone Editor doesn’t have them. What do I have to do in this case ?

1 Like

Hi Inellican,

I’m unfamiliar with SiteGround, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work with Cloudflare. I also use G Suite, so this will hopefully help.

It’s possible that you’re getting email late or not getting it all because recent DNS changes have not fully propagated. If true, things might get worse. It depends on when you made the change.

When I setup a domain with Cloudflare, I do the following. if you did something different, maybe try it this way:

1. In Cloudflare, add a site. Cloudflare should detect your DNS records. If it doesn’t,t you’ll need to add them manually. Go ahead and do that. Your MC records for Google must have the gray cloud.
  2. Go to your registrar, and point your DNS records to the entries supplied by Cloudflare.
  3. Wait a few minutes and instruct Cloudflare to verify.

Going forward, manage all your DNS records in Cloudflare. As long as your Nameservers are pointed to Cloudflare, it’s the authoritative source for DNS.