E-mail forwarding and IP security

So our site has a lot of trouble with DDOS attacks, the most recent seemed to be bypassing cloudflare entirely and hitting the server directly - most likely the result of having our mail sharing the same IP as our htttp(s) traffic server.

To get around this, right now, we’ve taken down all our server-based emails and we’re just using gmail addresses.

My question is about e-mail forwarding - our domain name supplier (GoDaddy) has a service that enables you to set “forwarding addresses”, ie. an email that appears to come from your domain name, but which functions purely to forward to an already existing address.

Would using these effectively hide our server IP in the future? Or will we need to do something else?

Presumably, but thats really something you need to clarify with them as that is not Cloudflare related.

As far as Cloudflare settings are concerned, you should simply make sure that your IP address does not leak. That could, for example, happen via MX records.

Also if you IP address was already out there, there is a good chance it has been archived by several sites. In that case you should get a new IP address.

Also if you IP address was already out there, there is a good chance it has been archived by several sites. In that case you should get a new IP address.

Agreed. We are in the process of doing so.

Presumably, but thats really something you need to clarify with them as that is not Cloudflare related.

I suppose you’re correct actually. I just assumed that someone here would be both a) more knowledgable and b) faster to respond.

I understand, but fundamentally it is not a question related to Cloudflare, hence somewhat off-topic here.

For a quick look, whats your domain?

Hey, sorry for the delayed replay, re-propogating with the new IP took a while, and there were some other issues to resolve.

Update on the OP: I have changed my servers MX records to use a Remote Mail Exchanger, and that is fine. So now what do I do with the cloudflare DNS settings? It still shows an A record “mail.mydomain.org”, which does not exist, plus an MX record for the same. Mail.mydomain.org no longer exists on my server.

Should I delete these, update them, or will they change automatically?

That contradicts itself.

Either post a screenshot of your DNS settings or - as I already asked - name the domain.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I’m not comfortable posting the domain, the owners value their anonymity.

I did make a mistake before, the A record is just for “mail”, not mail.mydomain, plus three cname records for imap, smtp and pop. Do I still need these if my MX record points to remote exchanger?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.