Dramatic Change in Caching Performance in November

I have been using CloudFlare (free tier) for many years. My use case is to primarily cache a Wordpress site and a collection of .zip files for distribution to my users.

I have seen good caching performance, both for requests and bandwidth throughout the history of the account, but there has been a dramatic change this month (November 2019) and the very end of last month (October 2019). Needless to say, I have made no changes recently to the origin hosting or to the CF configuration.

Here is a recent request graph - the left hand side of the graph shows typical performance, as has been seen over the years. The right hand side demonstrates the drop-off in caching performance, which is getting worse daily. Looking at the trajectory, this is going to end up with very little caching by the end of November.

The bandwidth graph shows an identical pattern, but as a new user here I can only put one image in a post.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

This change in caching behaviour means that I’m going to have to close down my non-profit and donation funded community project. I would be happy to upgrade my account to the $20 / month Pro plan as this cost would be manageable, but I need to know whether it will solve the issue (there’s nothing in the description of the Pro plan that mentions changes in caching behaviour, or limits).

I would appreciate it if someone from Cloudflare could respond to me on this issue. The situation is currently catastrophic for my project.

What do I need to do to return to the previous levels of caching?

If this is a policy change from CF, I would have appreciated advance warning. However, I am willing to upgrade to Pro if required, but need an assurance that this will resolve the issue.

Have you already created a support ticket? If not, I suggest creating one as this is just a community forum and this seems to be more specific to just your website.
And also post the ticket number here

https://dash.cloudflare.com/?account=support

1 Like

Thank you, I hadn’t actually realised that there was an option to file a support ticket on the free account - it’s quite well hidden.

Anyway, I have raised one now, thank you for the pointer.

In case anybody comes across this with a similar issue, a change was made at the Cloudflare side in November so that requests containing auth headers are never cached, irrespective of any page rule overrides.

1 Like

Documented here, https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003206852-Origin-Cache-Control